Are you good at identifying emotions/feelings within yourself?

Example 1: At my last psych appointment the pdoc said I looked happy. I didn't think I was.

Example 2: Was recently seen at main hospital emergency department  because of chest pains. Tests were ok, but BP was higher than normal . Had to go for follow up the next day . Doctor said it had been  raised because I was anxious. Apparently my pulse rate was fast.  I hadn't noticed I was anxious.

I don't think it happens all the time ie I sometimes know when I'm anxious etc .

Parents
  • I can totally relate, I have alexithymia and that is mainly around emotional experiences and problems, you might want to check it out.

I hate the question how do you feel as almost all of the time I feel neutral and the only times I don’t feel neutral is when I’m horrifically depressed or ecstatic. I use music to try and trigger emotions and get a mental response to what I’m seeing.

For example I watched someone die and I was quite interested in what was happening but felt no emotion at all.

Whereas I was more emotionally affected when I saw Gotham wasn’t renewing for a 6th season.

My emotional responses are often unpredictable which makes me a difficult person to understand or predict. I find it difficult to understand other people’s emotions and can never give advice or emotional comfort.

I can never know what words to describe how I’m feeling and when I don’t feel anything I often have to put on certain emotions.

I can tell if I’m anxious as that happens a lot and when I’m annoyed but that’s mostly it.

• I can totally relate, I have alexithymia and that is mainly around emotional experiences and problems, you might want to check it out.

I hate the question how do you feel as almost all of the time I feel neutral and the only times I don’t feel neutral is when I’m horrifically depressed or ecstatic. I use music to try and trigger emotions and get a mental response to what I’m seeing.

For example I watched someone die and I was quite interested in what was happening but felt no emotion at all.

Whereas I was more emotionally affected when I saw Gotham wasn’t renewing for a 6th season.

My emotional responses are often unpredictable which makes me a difficult person to understand or predict. I find it difficult to understand other people’s emotions and can never give advice or emotional comfort.

I can never know what words to describe how I’m feeling and when I don’t feel anything I often have to put on certain emotions.

I can tell if I’m anxious as that happens a lot and when I’m annoyed but that’s mostly it.

Children
  • Hi Will Young! (I won’t do my usual habit of just putting an initial for your second name!) Sorry. I can be skitty, no offence meant. I agree with you that it is I important to be you as far as you can, without causing harm to others of course. I too use music to bring out my background emotions. I think they are already there, but music brings them to a more recognisable place. 

Again I can be skitty if someone asks me how I feel and if I am perplexed and cannot find the words I might just quip “With my fingers!” 

Next question might be “How do you see yourself?”

Answer “In a mirror. “ 

I do know what they are actually asking these days, but it’s difficult to respond with language/body language they understand.