Do you ever feel guilty?

Do you ever feel guilty because of your behaviour due to your autism? I'm not really thinking extreme behaviour, more the little things.

I'm asking this because the other day I saw my parents for the first time in a while. I spent the whole time I saw them waffling on about myself and things I wanted to talk about. Afterwards I realised that it hadn't occurred to me to ask them how they were or what they'd been doing. I felt a bit bad when I realised this. I don't want them to think I don't care. I feel quite selfish when this happens but its not because I don't care about them and their lives. It just never occurred to me to ask and I find conversations about other people hard to keep going.

Do other people have situations like this and then feel guilty?

Parents
  • All the time. I try so hard to suppress myself, but once someone begins talking to me I have almost no filter. This becomes a major problem when someone is talking about something I'm interested in; I get very excitable and want to talk on and on and on about this subject. But what I fail to realise until later on is that not everyone is as passionate as I am, which is when I become convinced that I've been annoying that person the whole time. The worst thing is that before I can gather the courage to apologise (apologising makes me nervous because I don't know how people will react), the conversation switches or one of us leaves to go someplace else. I keep telling myself to shut up, but like I said above, once someone begins to talk to me I want to talk for ages, and usually only about myself or else I struggle to maintain the conversation because I don't know what to talk about. It makes me feel selfish.

I'm trying to just accept the fact that this is who I am, and my interests are what help form my personality. I'm beginning to spend a lot of time in social media groups, talking to people who share the same interests as me. Being able to talk incessantly with these people without worrying about being self-absorbed is helping me a lot. 

• All the time. I try so hard to suppress myself, but once someone begins talking to me I have almost no filter. This becomes a major problem when someone is talking about something I'm interested in; I get very excitable and want to talk on and on and on about this subject. But what I fail to realise until later on is that not everyone is as passionate as I am, which is when I become convinced that I've been annoying that person the whole time. The worst thing is that before I can gather the courage to apologise (apologising makes me nervous because I don't know how people will react), the conversation switches or one of us leaves to go someplace else. I keep telling myself to shut up, but like I said above, once someone begins to talk to me I want to talk for ages, and usually only about myself or else I struggle to maintain the conversation because I don't know what to talk about. It makes me feel selfish.

I'm trying to just accept the fact that this is who I am, and my interests are what help form my personality. I'm beginning to spend a lot of time in social media groups, talking to people who share the same interests as me. Being able to talk incessantly with these people without worrying about being self-absorbed is helping me a lot. 

Children
No Data