Being truly yourself - the struggle

I'm beginning to realise just how hard it is to communicate your own needs to other people, and to prioritise your own needs when necessary.

Yesterday I was in a meeting with one other, sympathetic, person who knows about my ASD, and I had to say three times that "I need to go now as my brain is exhausted". After the first two times we simply carried on talking. On the third time I had to emphasise my statement by standing up and moving towards the door. Only then could I escape, kicking myself for having spent what seemed like half an hour continuing past the point where what *I* needed was to withdraw to a quiet place to make sense of what we had been talking about.

I'm determined to become stronger at this, because I *have* to.

I face a similar situation in my relationship with my mother. What *I* need is space, separation, and to talk on the phone maybe once every few months and text once a month. But a part of my brain tells me that I *should* be doing something else, adoring her, looking after her feelings. Again, I need to be stronger.

I wonder if it's common (perhaps universal) for people on the spectrum to feel this overwhelming pressure to conform. That's almost a rhetorical question. But what's dawning on me now is that maybe another universal trait is a desire to be seen as compliant, to be seen as a "good egg", maybe simply to obtain acceptance, and just how pervasive, insidious, and stealthy the pressure is, and how hard it is to resist.

When I explain this, people are often quite ready to *say* "I understand, it must be hard, no 'You do you', look after your needs", but then their behaviours and reactions tell me that they didn't really mean it.

Parents
  • I can completely relate to some of what you have said regarding family. Since I was diagnosed with ASD last year, I have spoken to my mother less frequently on the phone. She is a bit passive aggressive and in the past would take offence if I did not call her every couple of days. I have explained to her that I find phone calls quite exhausting and now we keep in touch regularly on whats app. I feel less pressure to keep calling her and as a result less anxiety. It has taken a while for her to adjust though. Mostly I think she needs reassurance that I still love her - which I can show by regular texting. It probably takes time for others to adjust to a new situation but I don't think you need to be 'stronger' - you are probably very strong in your own way already. You can perhaps do what you need to do and keep explaining that / reassuring others (however tiresome that may be) in the hope that they will adapt over time and understand. One last point - I find that if I have said something once, I think the issue is dealt with. I am learning that with most NT people, one has to repeat the same messages several times before they get it. I don't understand why but anyway at least I know I have to do this! 

• I can completely relate to some of what you have said regarding family. Since I was diagnosed with ASD last year, I have spoken to my mother less frequently on the phone. She is a bit passive aggressive and in the past would take offence if I did not call her every couple of days. I have explained to her that I find phone calls quite exhausting and now we keep in touch regularly on whats app. I feel less pressure to keep calling her and as a result less anxiety. It has taken a while for her to adjust though. Mostly I think she needs reassurance that I still love her - which I can show by regular texting. It probably takes time for others to adjust to a new situation but I don't think you need to be 'stronger' - you are probably very strong in your own way already. You can perhaps do what you need to do and keep explaining that / reassuring others (however tiresome that may be) in the hope that they will adapt over time and understand. One last point - I find that if I have said something once, I think the issue is dealt with. I am learning that with most NT people, one has to repeat the same messages several times before they get it. I don't understand why but anyway at least I know I have to do this! 

Children
No Data