Are you an autistic teacher?

I would like to know if there are any autistic teachers here.

I would like to know...

How has autism had an impact on your teaching (in and out of the classroom ....positive and negative)

How has the job affected your autistic life? Im thinking here specifically in terms of the non-classroom elements of the job. For example how does the paperwork and planning affect you at home and your routines? How do you cope with the stresses of the job and a changing environment? How does it impact on your worklife balance as an autistic person? Do you have many meltdowns shutdowns or burnout episodes? Do you have any sensory problems at work such as information or social overload? How do you cope with these?

Why did you decide to take up the profession and did you know you were autistic before you started teaching?

What do you enjoy most about your job?

I am self-diagnosed and can relate to many aspects of autism throughout my life. Since self realisation i am able to use coping strategies  Im an adult tutor and currently this is the only teaching job ive had so i cant compare with other teaching roles. I would be interested to know how much of my job is general stress and how much could be down to being potentially autistic which compounds any stress. But i also would like to know your positive stories and experience! 

Parents
  • Hi. Also self-diagnosed few months back.

I am a pre-service teacher at an inclusive school, I think being the way I am has helped me mostly be patient and understanding with pupils that are either diagnosed or suspected of being "different". 

I like the scheduled day, can become somewhat irritated when there is a change in the timetable, but try not to really show it. 

Most of the planning, preparing, etc, takes place at home. I have to say I quite enjoy it, even though it consumes most of my "free" time. I do not always look at it as working, but as dealing with something I like doing (maths & science). It is, however, very time consuming and my girlfriend has to (probably) suffer from it. I seem to enjoy reading and preparing my lessons more than spending time with her, and it sometimes makes me frustrated. 

Something a bit negative (for my class): Last week was the last lesson before the Christmas break and I insisted on teaching, rather than doing something a bit more fun, a game, or something. After the lesson ended (which was a disaster, since no one was really paying attention) I decided it was a wrong move, so I'm gonna sort of apologize to them next week and try to show more empathy next time. I was amazed, that it didn't even cross my mind to *not* teach. Anyway, still learning :)

I hope my motivation stays at its current high level later on and I'm excited about finding out more about me and helping pupils!

• Hi. Also self-diagnosed few months back.

I am a pre-service teacher at an inclusive school, I think being the way I am has helped me mostly be patient and understanding with pupils that are either diagnosed or suspected of being "different". 

I like the scheduled day, can become somewhat irritated when there is a change in the timetable, but try not to really show it. 

Most of the planning, preparing, etc, takes place at home. I have to say I quite enjoy it, even though it consumes most of my "free" time. I do not always look at it as working, but as dealing with something I like doing (maths & science). It is, however, very time consuming and my girlfriend has to (probably) suffer from it. I seem to enjoy reading and preparing my lessons more than spending time with her, and it sometimes makes me frustrated. 

Something a bit negative (for my class): Last week was the last lesson before the Christmas break and I insisted on teaching, rather than doing something a bit more fun, a game, or something. After the lesson ended (which was a disaster, since no one was really paying attention) I decided it was a wrong move, so I'm gonna sort of apologize to them next week and try to show more empathy next time. I was amazed, that it didn't even cross my mind to *not* teach. Anyway, still learning :)

I hope my motivation stays at its current high level later on and I'm excited about finding out more about me and helping pupils!

Children
  • What does pre service mean? I work in  adult ed so don't know. Is it before you qualify?

Yes most of my planning etc takes place at home. I do feel there's an underlying defiance within me when it comes to having to do this if it's not straight after I get home. This feeling gives me anxiety but I'm working on it. It's because I have to do something in my own time which I don't want to do.

That's really good if you enjoy the subject. I do too find it time consuming, more so when I started teaching. I have since realised from my assessment that I think executive function difficulties come into play. Such as, there might be more than one way to plan a lesson and countless resources...where to start?! Also my need for things to be right (perfectionism?) Although I'm working on that. And here's a significant one which I didn't realise till my diagnosis....the knowing when to stop. I can get into tunnel vision and before I know it, it's well into the evening, it's gone dark, I've been sitting there for 3 hours and not left my chair because I've been so in the zone.  I think this could link with autistic inertia (difficulty stopping once started).

Don't worry about what happened with your class. I wouldn't apologise. You're the authority figure and I'm sure you had the best intentions. One of my colleagues on the last day of summer term did a full grammar lesson.

I'm glad your motivation is on a high level! Wait till Ofsted come!