Are you an autistic teacher?

I would like to know if there are any autistic teachers here.

I would like to know...

How has autism had an impact on your teaching (in and out of the classroom ....positive and negative)

How has the job affected your autistic life? Im thinking here specifically in terms of the non-classroom elements of the job. For example how does the paperwork and planning affect you at home and your routines? How do you cope with the stresses of the job and a changing environment? How does it impact on your worklife balance as an autistic person? Do you have many meltdowns shutdowns or burnout episodes? Do you have any sensory problems at work such as information or social overload? How do you cope with these?

Why did you decide to take up the profession and did you know you were autistic before you started teaching?

What do you enjoy most about your job?

I am self-diagnosed and can relate to many aspects of autism throughout my life. Since self realisation i am able to use coping strategies  Im an adult tutor and currently this is the only teaching job ive had so i cant compare with other teaching roles. I would be interested to know how much of my job is general stress and how much could be down to being potentially autistic which compounds any stress. But i also would like to know your positive stories and experience! 

• I am a Social Work Practice Teacher, meaning that I teach students on BA and MSc Social Work courses.

Things are a bit hectic this time of the year with students' portfolios to mark. and

I like being able to "think outside the box " and introduce my students to ideas from my earlier career as an NHS manager and my OU degree in public administration and psychology.  I really enjoy working with the more able students, who I can stretch. At university level it is not so much teaching as facilitating learning.

• I have high-functioning autism as well. I am not diagnosed, but I put it together when I was going through it with my daughter. I'm a second career and I will be graduating this year and (hopefully) teaching next year. Prior to that I was in IT and then a school librarian which was what led me to teaching.

This summer I am teaching summer school for 4 hours a day - 1st graders. Although I am majoring in Elementary Ed, I think I should teach upper elementary or middle school now that I've had little ones non-stop for several hours a day. Little kids are very emotionally needy and I am not an emotional person. I don't smile enough and I'm just not "warm" enough for small kids. I do a good job, and my kids are kicking butt as far as making progress because I really am good at picking up what they are struggling with and presenting it in a way that works better for them. This is something I've always been good at. I used to tutor college algebra and could take a math illiterate and help them get a grade they were happy with in college algebra (many of them taking it for the second or even third time).

As far as "coming out" I won't. I'm already the odd duck out at the school where I work. I'm never included in things all of the rest of the staff are invited to, baby showers or potlucks or things like that. I just don't make friends easily. I'm very socially awkward, have a hard time making eye contact, and again, don't smile enough. Social interactions aren't natural. (In my head I tell myself, smile, make eye contact, etc) I may "come out" to students with autism in the future if I feel it may be helpful to the student to see a functional adult in their life with the same issues, but here is a stigma that comes with autism that I'm not comfortable having attached to me in a general way.

• I am a teacher with autism. I have taught for over 20 years as a special education teacher that works with students that have an AS diagnosis. My experience has been extremely fraught- I really enjoy working with students and have particular skills for identifying problematic situations they may encounter. The hardest part, by a mile, is masking my disability. I see no format or context to openly share my disability and thus it makes it harder to also request the kinds of accommodations I might need that, say, a non-autistic person may not need at all. This is a considerable burden. I have a very difficult time with accepting nonsensical (in my opinion) policies and systems that impact the students I work with- often these involve things like the scheduling of classes or the use of instructional assistants, lack of differentiation, micromanaging by administrators or mind-numbing awful staff developments and staff meetings. I expend so much energy just being something I’m not or at least minimizing who I am.

• Yes! I am officially diagnosed, and it was teaching that led me to pursue my diagnosis, after having met so many autistic students over the years and seeing myself in them, again and again.

I teach Latin - I joke that with all its rules and patterns and logic, it is a pretty autistic subject! I took it up simply because I loved it as a subject - I was dubious about whether I could teach it, but after 10 years running a large and successful department, it turns out that I can! I've always worked in boys' schools, although I am female... I find boys more straightforward to deal with, and girls' voices can be too shrill for me.

I'm very "out" at school - I think it is so important for my autistic students to have a role model who is proud of their autism, and who is academically and professionally successful.

To be honest, the students are the easy bit... yes, there's a lot of BS and unnecessary paperwork, but the joy of being out is that everyone is very understanding when you tell them that the unnecessary admin is in fact BS and you won't be doing it! I've got rid of some of the nonsense for everyone over the years just by speaking up - I think a lot of NTs are so worried about how to phrase things and how they'll come across that they don't say anything - whereas I have very little filter!

I did have a major issue with being used for cover - once my week is planned, it does not get unplanned, I don't care how many people are off sick - but there is now an agreement in place where I am never asked to do this. I also can't do lunch duty in the main hall as it echoes and the volume is just too much for me - I tried ear defenders but they press on my helix and tragus piercings - so again, I have to have outside duty, but that's not so bad. 

I think that, as long as you're honest from the start, firm, and don't let anyone try to get away with treating an "SEN" adult with less consideration than an SEN student, it's a profession that can work.

• I am a teacher working through my first term assignment.  It has been a long journey, ever since I was in the education program, when I was finally diagnosed.  What has become painfully clear is how poorly the condition is understood in the professional environment, where teachers tend to be very judgemental and critical of one another's appearance and mannerisms.  Certain traits and eccentricities are accepted, while autistic traits hit the rumour mill pretty fast.  There are many aspects of the job that I do well at, and most of the constructed social environments are totally fine with me.  But those annoying chance encounters in the wild, 'how are you, how was your holiday?" moments totally throw me off.  I've come to the realization that I have to do my job as best as I can and not worry about the things that teachers, whom you would think would actually be the more tolerant types of people, are saying about me behind my back.  Speaking frankly, I think that autistic children are accepted, but many professionals revert to bigotry when they encounter an adult who is just as capable as themselves, but neurodiverse.

There is a tendency in our society to blame the victim rather than face the awkward truth that someone has been discriminated against.  This is precisely what I think is happening with adults who have this difference in their personalities.  People have a tendency to view 'people with poor social skills' as a problem, who are to blame for their own difficulties.  But these victims are not the ones who are socially excluding others, or ridiculing colleagues behind their backs.  While these traits might suggest a degree of social agility, I have to say, they are not virtuous or desirable.  So, what I mean to say is, our community stands to gain more virtue by being more accepting of people with autism, and acquiring more understanding of adults with the condition, than they would lose by risking social interaction with someone who is a bit different.

Hm.  There's a thought.  Is not fear of interacting with people who are different a different kind of social deficit?

• I am a teacher working through my first term assignment.  It has been a long journey, ever since I was in the education program, when I was finally diagnosed.  What has become painfully clear is how poorly the condition is understood in the professional environment, where teachers tend to be very judgemental and critical of one another's appearance and mannerisms.  Certain traits and eccentricities are accepted, while autistic traits hit the rumour mill pretty fast.  There are many aspects of the job that I do well at, and most of the constructed social environments are totally fine with me.  But those annoying chance encounters in the wild, 'how are you, how was your holiday?" moments totally throw me off.  I've come to the realization that I have to do my job as best as I can and not worry about the things that teachers, whom you would think would actually be the more tolerant types of people, are saying about me behind my back.  Speaking frankly, I think that autistic children are accepted, but many professionals revert to bigotry when they encounter an adult who is just as capable as themselves, but neurodiverse.

There is a tendency in our society to blame the victim rather than face the awkward truth that someone has been discriminated against.  This is precisely what I think is happening with adults who have this difference in their personalities.  People have a tendency to view 'people with poor social skills' as a problem, who are to blame for their own difficulties.  But these victims are not the ones who are socially excluding others, or ridiculing colleagues behind their backs.  While these traits might suggest a degree of social agility, I have to say, they are not virtuous or desirable.  So, what I mean to say is, our community stands to gain more virtue by being more accepting of people with autism, and acquiring more understanding of adults with the condition, than they would lose by risking social interaction with someone who is a bit different.

Hm.  There's a thought.  Is not fear of interacting with people who are different a different kind of social deficit?

• That sounds quite good 

• Where I work and I know a few other places in local councils have flexible hours as it depends on funding so you can just do one or two classes if you wanted. So it's like an open contract.

• That makes sense. I actually started off in adult education, I really enjoyed it but that was 15 years ago. I dont know what its like now.

• Sorry you've been signed off. Hopefully now you can rest and recuperate. I work in adult education and its more about upskilling but it does feel like an exam factory at times. It's all geared up to finding a job.....a lot of my students come to the uk to find work....in modern society having a job is the main goal because it's difficult to live any other way.

Writing sounds good if that's your enjoyment. II'd like to become self employed in something then I've only got myself to answer to but I don't know what and with the way things currently are, it's probably best not changing just yet.

• What does pre service mean? I work in  adult ed so don't know. Is it before you qualify?

Yes most of my planning etc takes place at home. I do feel there's an underlying defiance within me when it comes to having to do this if it's not straight after I get home. This feeling gives me anxiety but I'm working on it. It's because I have to do something in my own time which I don't want to do.

That's really good if you enjoy the subject. I do too find it time consuming, more so when I started teaching. I have since realised from my assessment that I think executive function difficulties come into play. Such as, there might be more than one way to plan a lesson and countless resources...where to start?! Also my need for things to be right (perfectionism?) Although I'm working on that. And here's a significant one which I didn't realise till my diagnosis....the knowing when to stop. I can get into tunnel vision and before I know it, it's well into the evening, it's gone dark, I've been sitting there for 3 hours and not left my chair because I've been so in the zone.  I think this could link with autistic inertia (difficulty stopping once started).

Don't worry about what happened with your class. I wouldn't apologise. You're the authority figure and I'm sure you had the best intentions. One of my colleagues on the last day of summer term did a full grammar lesson.

I'm glad your motivation is on a high level! Wait till Ofsted come!

• I am a teacher but I am currently signed off work by my doctor as I had a full on breakdown 3 weeks ago and havn't been able to go to work since. I work in a very macho envioronment in a sports department of a college and although they are lovely people I find the male macho thing quite overwhelming.

Previously I worked in secondary schools which was even worse, the endless exam pressure, the conformity of everyone having to have the same views and manners in the staffroom, it was horrible.

I often find I get on better with the students than the teachers

I really struggle with the conformity of school, I feel that we are training kids to be robots instead of individulas. Good little boys and girls that will grow up to fit in with the system and do as they are told by their bosses. I cant be like that and I always encourage my kids to be individuals. I once started a drum circle in form time in a comprehensive school lol.

Maybe because I was homeschooled myself I don't get the whole conformity thing

I tried to become the strict disciplinary teacher but it didn't suit me and made me a terrible teacher

I dont know if I will go back to teaching. I am a writer in my spare time and i want to focus on that

If I do go back to teaching I want to do it my way and not the rest of the worlds way 

• Hi. Also self-diagnosed few months back.

I am a pre-service teacher at an inclusive school, I think being the way I am has helped me mostly be patient and understanding with pupils that are either diagnosed or suspected of being "different". 

I like the scheduled day, can become somewhat irritated when there is a change in the timetable, but try not to really show it. 

Most of the planning, preparing, etc, takes place at home. I have to say I quite enjoy it, even though it consumes most of my "free" time. I do not always look at it as working, but as dealing with something I like doing (maths & science). It is, however, very time consuming and my girlfriend has to (probably) suffer from it. I seem to enjoy reading and preparing my lessons more than spending time with her, and it sometimes makes me frustrated. 

Something a bit negative (for my class): Last week was the last lesson before the Christmas break and I insisted on teaching, rather than doing something a bit more fun, a game, or something. After the lesson ended (which was a disaster, since no one was really paying attention) I decided it was a wrong move, so I'm gonna sort of apologize to them next week and try to show more empathy next time. I was amazed, that it didn't even cross my mind to *not* teach. Anyway, still learning :)

I hope my motivation stays at its current high level later on and I'm excited about finding out more about me and helping pupils!

• I am! And honestly, being autistic doesn't stop me from following my true passion.

• I am! And honestly, being autistic doesn't stop me from following my true passion.

• Business meetings, label "hell on earth", I am not socially competent so I do not engage with others, they seem to sense I am out of step and I become the "elephant in the room".

As to the business side of a meeting, everyone has an axe to grind and my logic and balance always upsets those who have an emotional attachment, so out of favour again.

My wiring is devoid of emotional attachment and I just get on with the job, empathetic yes, sympathy no.  It has never made any sense to me that I was a great teacher but I do not relate to people, I relate to animals and machines, how does that work?  I can only think I was an actor on a stage delivering a performance.

• What's your favourite experiment to do in class that the students love? How do you feel now you have got a diagnosis?

Your experience of lockdown bringing difficulties to the surface seems to be a common one which I've read about on this forum before. not just for teachers.

One of the things I like about my job and where I work is pretty much the absence of office politics especially for the tutors. We don't have a common staff room or office that we share - while this means having to do it all from home, it offers flexibility and means we don't get caught up in any of that.

People do tend to come to me with their problems too....I feel that things don't really phase me. But on the other hand, some things can really get to me.

I have difficulties with my executive function too but because I have masked all my life no-one knows. Not even me till a few months ago. Things take just that bit more of an effort but for the same results. This coupled with perfectionist tendencies has caused a lot of stress in the past. But I'm working on this and know what I can get away with now.

• Thank you for your contribution. Yes the paperwork is heavy but I think it's a trade-off - I feel I fit in very well where I work and enjoy the teaching side of things. Every job has it's pros and cons.

Sorry you ended your career the way you did. I think it's telling you speak better of the students than you do of your managers. I don't think I would ever want to be a manager. It was pretty much offered to me a few years ago (sort of "supervisor" level). I've worked at this level in retail before but that s different. I don't want to be responsible for other staff and having to attend meetings etc would be too much of a load. I feel colleagues look at you differently when you become a manager and I also like being on the periphery.

• Sounds like you enjoy the teaching side of the job! Thats probably true of most teachers. Why do you think you might be on the spectrum? Now I have got my diagnosis, I can see how executive function difficulties can play a part with the non-teaching side of things. And also ruminating thoughts (ie struggling sometimes to switch off after work although this has improved massively since I first wrote this post 2 years ago). Also when I have been asked to change from my usual classroom or work in a different centre that can be diffcult. What's teaching from a cart? is that where all your resources are on a trolley and you just have to go into any classroom? I think I would find that difficult. I don't know if I could hang around with the students all day! It'd drive me mad I think.....need peace and quiet when not teaching!!!