Are you an autistic teacher?

I would like to know if there are any autistic teachers here.

I would like to know...

How has autism had an impact on your teaching (in and out of the classroom ....positive and negative)

How has the job affected your autistic life? Im thinking here specifically in terms of the non-classroom elements of the job. For example how does the paperwork and planning affect you at home and your routines? How do you cope with the stresses of the job and a changing environment? How does it impact on your worklife balance as an autistic person? Do you have many meltdowns shutdowns or burnout episodes? Do you have any sensory problems at work such as information or social overload? How do you cope with these?

Why did you decide to take up the profession and did you know you were autistic before you started teaching?

What do you enjoy most about your job?

I am self-diagnosed and can relate to many aspects of autism throughout my life. Since self realisation i am able to use coping strategies  Im an adult tutor and currently this is the only teaching job ive had so i cant compare with other teaching roles. I would be interested to know how much of my job is general stress and how much could be down to being potentially autistic which compounds any stress. But i also would like to know your positive stories and experience! 

Parents
  • Yes I am.

Been teaching for over 20 years, been diagnosed for less than a year.

In answer to your questions:

Why did you decide to take up the profession and did you know you were autistic before you started teaching? It was the only job I ever wanted to do from when I was a kid. Always liked learning, always like explaining things and helping people. Didn't know then I was autistic

How has the job affected your autistic life? I'm thinking here specifically in terms of the non-classroom elements of the job. For example how does the paperwork and planning affect you at home and your routines? How do you cope with the stresses of the job and a changing environment? How does it impact on your worklife balance as an autistic person? Do you have many meltdowns shutdowns or burnout episodes? Do you have any sensory problems at work such as information or social overload? How do you cope with these?

I like routine, and I work best when I can create my own routine. At the beginning of this academic year I started doing a structured weekly "to-do" list which really helps. However I can struggle with prioritizing - for example if someone else asks me to do something I will prioritize that over my own list, and I don't really know how to say no to them... (I know I need to get better at this...errr...it's on my to-do list!)

I have quite a few sensory issues, largely around sound/light, and these manifest themselves most when around other adults. I know that a big part of these issues is probably psychological...I can function pretty well in a noisy classroom with 30 teenagers, but if I'm in a meeting with 6 adults and they all start talking over each other it really does my head in! I think it's kinda to do with professional expectations - if the meeting is important then we all need to treat it as such, ie start on time, and don't behave like 12 year olds.

I am not fully open at work about my AS, but those closest to me know. My boss has been great and is actually better than me at recognizing when I am having a meltdown, and will then find me for a chat. Most of my meltdowns lately seem to come in ranty emails sent to him which he is very good at dealing with!!....I have this alter ego called George who is the angry side of me who I blame for such emails  (if you've ever read "The Chimp Paradox" (v good) ...some of us don't just have a chimp, we have a gorilla, and mine's called George.)

I read a great quote recently from a teacher who suspects they are ASD, it concerned how they manged to cope so well in the classroom. It said "we're there for a reason and I'm the one who's directing it". That fits me perfectly. Teaching is an act, most NT teachers would say that. But for me it's an act over a mask...and if I could just kinda work out how the act part of me functions so well then maybe the rest of me would function better....but I guess that's part of the mask. And I've been masking most of my life without knowing I was doing it, and that takes some getting used to.

What do you enjoy most about your job? being alexythmic I'm not sure I would use the word enjoy....I guess I like helping people; I believe in the power of education and its ability to shape the future, and I like being a part of that.

How has autism had an impact on your teaching (in and out of the classroom ....positive and negative)  I think it has undoubtedly shaped me, and the positive aspects of it - eg attention to detail, deep focus, methodical approach, tenacity, acceptance of others, loyalty, thinking skills, etc have all made me the teacher I am.

• I've been teaching for ten years and have self diagnosed awaiting an assessment. I also have Alexythymia and struggle with expressing my feelings and emotions. I am struggling to accept it. I have been masking for years and managed to work gard to get on our leadership team. However, the social relationships of the team caused me such great anxiety I had to step down which I'm finding so hard to cope with. How have you managed to cope with accepting any limitations you have? 

• I've been teaching for ten years and have self diagnosed awaiting an assessment. I also have Alexythymia and struggle with expressing my feelings and emotions. I am struggling to accept it. I have been masking for years and managed to work gard to get on our leadership team. However, the social relationships of the team caused me such great anxiety I had to step down which I'm finding so hard to cope with. How have you managed to cope with accepting any limitations you have? 

Children
No Data