How many meltdowns a week?

Hi

So I average about 1/2 meltdowns a week. How about you guys?

I can kind of recognise when I am about to fall down the rabbit hole.  I try to isolate myself and then start to stim.

Also my meltdown cycle is; anxiety, frustration/anger, despair then a feeling of emptiness for a few days.

Parents
  • Mine are down to zero at the minute. They started to reduce when I had a major meltdown in the job centre last year, and it turns out, my job coach knew exactly what to do and it was the first time in my life I had had a meltdown in front of somebody who actually not only knew what was happening but she knew what to do to help me come out of it. 

I was absolutely astonished, and since then, without me noticing really, they have gradually reduced to nothing. I don’t know if it will remain this way, but now I know how to handle them, I no longer fear them. Maybe that’s why I no longer have them? Maybe it was the fear of them that was actually bringing them on? 

Prior to this, I was definitely having a good few a week and some of them were torturous ~ no wonder I feared them! But I don’t fear them anymore. The only thing I am making certain of, is to avoid burnouts. I will not have another burnout but I’m prepared to risk a meltdown. 

• Oh God, wonderful - what was the technique? Pretty please?

• She just seemed to completely accept what was happening, I think she held my hands or something, I can't remember that bit, but it was as if she held this space for me and she was completely unaffected by it. Anyway, whatever she did, once I had calmed down, every time I tried to talk about it, she very clearly, but gently, steered me back to the fact that I was ok now, and got my mind thinking about something else, something positive I presume. 

The key to all this for me, was that I no longer allow myself to think about the incident or whatever it was that kicked it off ~ I realised, in total amazement, that the actual meltdown didn't last that long ~ and I've since learned calming techniques such as deep breathing and stimming, no matter where I am, to help calm me down ~ and then once I'm calm, I just don't allow myself to think about it at all. 

I realised that when my work coach prevented me from talking about it, I felt so much better. 

This might sound obvious to you, I don't know, but it was a revalation to me. Honestly, prior to this, I would obsess for hours, maybe days, over what happened. 

I also realised there was tremendous power in her complete acceptance of what was happening and the way she didn't react. I also knew she wouldn't be there every time I have a meltdown, so I realised  I had to have the same acceptance in me. 

I also tested it out. I went to a shopping place that I knew could bring on a meltdown, which it did, and I stimmed in public, then sat in my car and did some deep breathing to recover enough to then drive home. 

So it's like not only do I accept them now, I also don't fear them and if they happen, I know what to do. And I'm not afraid to tell somebody what's happening or to ask for help if I need it. In fact, that's how I found my autism group by having a meltdown in town ~ another story :) 

But I think that's it. If there's anything you're not clear about, let me know. 

It sounds a bit too simple, now I'm writing it down, but it has worked, and I'm still learning but the complete and utter acceptance was a big thing. And knowing it's ok, it's just part of who I am, or 'was' it seems Shrug tone1‍♀️

And of course getting to know myself better and what things do cause me stress and avoiding them, knowing I don't have to do anything I don't want to do. 

• Yeah, the fear of something happening is always worse than the actual thing happening. So now I don't fear meltdowns, they actually rarely happen, my fear of them was keeping them going. It's a universal law that states we bring into our experience that which we fear the most. And the law was definitely proved in my case regarding meltdowns. 

• Yeah, the fear of something happening is always worse than the actual thing happening. So now I don't fear meltdowns, they actually rarely happen, my fear of them was keeping them going. It's a universal law that states we bring into our experience that which we fear the most. And the law was definitely proved in my case regarding meltdowns. 

Children
No Data