Female with autism feels masculine rather than feminine

I am a female with autism. Something that I have felt most of my life is that I feel more masculine than feminine in my inner self however outwardly I definitely look feminine such as makeup and I do my hair etc but inwardly I feel and see myself as more of a male. Has anyone experienced this? 

Parents
  • Yes,   I do.  
    I googled this out of interest to see if anyone else had the same experienced.  I am now 67.  I was diagnosed 6 years ago with Aspergers.  Everything seemed to fall into place after that.  It is the first time I have checked out my experience of feeling masculine though.  Like you, I have always been very good at appearing feminine and have been told that I am on many occasions,  but have somehow struggled to believe it as it doesn’t line up with my inner reality.  I was a tomboy growing up and at 67 I still spend a lot of time with my dogs, taking them on walks and out with the bike and have occasionally still climbed a tree!  I now spend all my time in jeans and only ever wear a skirt if I am out with a friend at a pub or restaurant and even then my preference is trousers.  I have never liked to wear anything low cut or that shows off my shape In a sexy way, preferring looser clothes.  I used to always choose men’s tops over women’s for casual wear.

thanks for your post.  Another piece of the jigsaw now slotted in!

• Yes,   I do.  
    I googled this out of interest to see if anyone else had the same experienced.  I am now 67.  I was diagnosed 6 years ago with Aspergers.  Everything seemed to fall into place after that.  It is the first time I have checked out my experience of feeling masculine though.  Like you, I have always been very good at appearing feminine and have been told that I am on many occasions,  but have somehow struggled to believe it as it doesn’t line up with my inner reality.  I was a tomboy growing up and at 67 I still spend a lot of time with my dogs, taking them on walks and out with the bike and have occasionally still climbed a tree!  I now spend all my time in jeans and only ever wear a skirt if I am out with a friend at a pub or restaurant and even then my preference is trousers.  I have never liked to wear anything low cut or that shows off my shape In a sexy way, preferring looser clothes.  I used to always choose men’s tops over women’s for casual wear.

thanks for your post.  Another piece of the jigsaw now slotted in!

Children
No Data