Female with autism feels masculine rather than feminine

I am a female with autism. Something that I have felt most of my life is that I feel more masculine than feminine in my inner self however outwardly I definitely look feminine such as makeup and I do my hair etc but inwardly I feel and see myself as more of a male. Has anyone experienced this? 

Parents
  • Tony Attwood talks about girls who are perceived to be ‘different’ by their same-gender peers being more accepted by boys, and vice versa. A liking for Lego, trousers, playing with and having similar interests to boys, whilst disliking uncomfortable dresses and other girls (who can be cruel), might lead to the assumption ‘I must be a boy’ or more boyish.

The evidence for the female autistic brain having increased masculine characteristics and the male autistic brain having less masculine characteristics would fit with this view (Bejerotetal, 2012). Also, if an autistic child is not tuned in to what the social norms for children of their gender are, they are probably less likely to adopt them early in life.

i am ‘me’ I mainly were trousers and tshirts|jumpers as they are easy to wear and as an active person more practical for me than a pretty dress. I also tend to steer my self from my head and not my physical self so tend to dissociate from what I might look like, what I’m wearing and how others may perceive my external shell.

i also dress to reduce attention to myself...I don’t want to stand out ...just given the opportunity to be quietly me.

• Also, if an autistic child is not tuned in to what the social norms for children of their gender are, they are probably less likely to adopt them early in life.

This was me. All my siblings and cousins were boys when I was young and the kids on our street, so I never played with girls so this could explain it! 

• I tend to “drop out” of societal games”, or “gender expectations” that I simply either don’t get, don’t see the benefit of, or know I have no chance of succeeding in. Slight smile

i find society very very interesting right now with an explosion of ways and terms to categorise self. A kind of societal schizophrenia that there is a desire to fit (which is basic survival to be included in the human tribe) plus a strong desire to assert ones own individuality

As BlueRay ha as mentioned, self acceptance and self knowledge is key. Labels can help us find tribes we feel a closer bond to or idenfty with and give us a meaning that others can google to increase their knowledge of who we are.

Last week my son to,d me he was a strong black lesbian woman. :) Amazing!

• No, more like he has had a strong female role model and he is able to discern where power comes from. All the ancients knew the power of the feminine, which is distinctly opposite to masculine strength, which is just as necessary but the real power lies with the woman and you’re a good example of that which has clearly been communicated effectively to and understood by your son :) A job well done, I’d say. 

• I find it interesting that he views a woman as being one of strength.. maybe a lack of positive male role model going on there? 

• p.s. also, very smart, knowing when to drop out etc. I love how imaginatively and creatively aspie women use their intelligence to get by Ok hand tone4 pure genius in my eyes Heart eyes

• Haha I love that ~ strong black lesbian woman ~ that's some strong ass soul he's developing :) ~ which doesn't surprise me Wink 

Reply Children
  • No, more like he has had a strong female role model and he is able to discern where power comes from. All the ancients knew the power of the feminine, which is distinctly opposite to masculine strength, which is just as necessary but the real power lies with the woman and you’re a good example of that which has clearly been communicated effectively to and understood by your son :) A job well done, I’d say. 

• I find it interesting that he views a woman as being one of strength.. maybe a lack of positive male role model going on there?