Street lights and other lighting

Does anyine else have a strange relationship with street lights as I do?

Im all for energy saving to help with climate change but im really struggling with these new bright white (LED?) lights.

A lot of the street lights round here are being retro-fitted with the new white light. I much prefer the warm tones of the old style orange or peach ones. Is it just that i like things just-so snd unchanged? The old orange ones rrmind me of being a child. To me, the white light is like the visual equivalent of the sound of a bad chord on an untuned piano. Does that make sense to anyone? It makes me feel uncomfortabke and a bit uneasy.

Since New year, there have been 4 neighbours who have had  white security lights installed outside their homes.The house at the back has lights which shine into our back bedroom. Its not majorly bright but its the colour of the light i dont like. The lights they had before shone in a bit but were a warmer light and it didnt feel invasive.

When we lived in a second floor flat, some new car park lighrs were installed which shone directly into our living room. There was only me who seemed bothered by it (not partner or other neighbours) and i got the council to re-angle the light.

These white lights make me feel uncomfortable. In places like supermarket car parks where they are really bright, the birds are singing at 10pm at night because the lighrs mimic daylight. It fills me with despair. This is messing with our body clock as well as nature.

My partner said he has never heard anyone go on about lighting as much as me. Is it just me?!

Parents
  • Just the opposite myself. It's basically my job to do all the energy-saving projects around here. I am gradually getting rid of all the fluorescents; which suits me because I don't like the ballast buzz or the strobe effect. (Or shocks off ballasts!;-) With LEDs, I have tried Warm White and didn't like it. As someone elsewhere said, it's a very reminiscent tint, and I really don't need any more reminiscence, as I'm a past master at it. I also think Warm White reminds me of the seasonal 'downer' often experienced during autumns and winters in cold climates. Or even heavily overcast days in a tropical rainy season. In both cases, days subject to cabin fever.

Yep, daylight white can be too strong, but you can avoid looking anywhere near ceiling mounted light fittings, and can also fit diffusers. Or direct the light carefully, as with wall-mounted spotlights.

I made myself a handheld extension lead spotlight, with a very cheap 12V LED cluster bought in the local equivalent of Maplin. It already had a diffuser lens of sorts I realised I really needed a better diffuser, because everyone found the Daylight White too strong if it was not directed carefully. But there were no off-the-shelf diffusers available in the right size. The answer was to make one out of an opaque Boots hand-cream pot complete with the lid. (Wipe it completely clean, of course!) The degree of diffusion was then just right. A hole was cut through the lid, and the lid was fitted to the barrel of the 'torch', with the opaque pot fitted over the cluster. The pot could thus be removed when a stronger light was needed for such things as 'hunt the contact lens'. (The barrel was constructed from a sealant tube, with a reused flex poked in through the screw-on nozzle. The connection to the 12V solar battery system used a jack-plug such as was used on old telephone exchanges and some hi-fi connections. But actually jack plugs and 12V car adapters are quite commonly used in solar systems, because they are simple, cheap and reliable. An illuminated car switch was the final homespun touch) So it is possible to make your own diffusers, from any material with some degree of opacity. But keep the diffuser some distance from LED tubes, to avoid overheating of the tube that might burn out the mini-driver. All you really need to test the level of diffusion is your own eyes and mind; is it comfortable for them or not?

Your point about interfering with the body clock and nature is an important one; but the light can also be more directed than fluorescents. That means less light pollution ABOVE the fitting. The LED lights fitted recently on my street seem much better directed than previous, and don't appear to have much impact on the starlings and other critters in roadside trees. So perhaps that effect can be eliminated by newer designs. I had sort of noticed the starling *** tends to mainly accumulate under trees on the divider, where the light definitely doesn't shine much. You hear the twitter, and avoid walking under them, but can't actually see them. ;-) But actually my main contribution to the energy-saving and visual discomfort issues is to switch everything off when it is no longer needed/desired/comfortable. I like to sleep in complete darkness and loathe aircons. Even the white noise of a fan is unwelcome for too long. So I also have a 12V pedestal fan with a timer switch.

Another plus point of LED tubes is the LEDs are NOT in a vacuum with Mercury inside the tube.

• Just the opposite myself. It's basically my job to do all the energy-saving projects around here. I am gradually getting rid of all the fluorescents; which suits me because I don't like the ballast buzz or the strobe effect. (Or shocks off ballasts!;-) With LEDs, I have tried Warm White and didn't like it. As someone elsewhere said, it's a very reminiscent tint, and I really don't need any more reminiscence, as I'm a past master at it. I also think Warm White reminds me of the seasonal 'downer' often experienced during autumns and winters in cold climates. Or even heavily overcast days in a tropical rainy season. In both cases, days subject to cabin fever.

Yep, daylight white can be too strong, but you can avoid looking anywhere near ceiling mounted light fittings, and can also fit diffusers. Or direct the light carefully, as with wall-mounted spotlights.

I made myself a handheld extension lead spotlight, with a very cheap 12V LED cluster bought in the local equivalent of Maplin. It already had a diffuser lens of sorts I realised I really needed a better diffuser, because everyone found the Daylight White too strong if it was not directed carefully. But there were no off-the-shelf diffusers available in the right size. The answer was to make one out of an opaque Boots hand-cream pot complete with the lid. (Wipe it completely clean, of course!) The degree of diffusion was then just right. A hole was cut through the lid, and the lid was fitted to the barrel of the 'torch', with the opaque pot fitted over the cluster. The pot could thus be removed when a stronger light was needed for such things as 'hunt the contact lens'. (The barrel was constructed from a sealant tube, with a reused flex poked in through the screw-on nozzle. The connection to the 12V solar battery system used a jack-plug such as was used on old telephone exchanges and some hi-fi connections. But actually jack plugs and 12V car adapters are quite commonly used in solar systems, because they are simple, cheap and reliable. An illuminated car switch was the final homespun touch) So it is possible to make your own diffusers, from any material with some degree of opacity. But keep the diffuser some distance from LED tubes, to avoid overheating of the tube that might burn out the mini-driver. All you really need to test the level of diffusion is your own eyes and mind; is it comfortable for them or not?

Your point about interfering with the body clock and nature is an important one; but the light can also be more directed than fluorescents. That means less light pollution ABOVE the fitting. The LED lights fitted recently on my street seem much better directed than previous, and don't appear to have much impact on the starlings and other critters in roadside trees. So perhaps that effect can be eliminated by newer designs. I had sort of noticed the starling *** tends to mainly accumulate under trees on the divider, where the light definitely doesn't shine much. You hear the twitter, and avoid walking under them, but can't actually see them. ;-) But actually my main contribution to the energy-saving and visual discomfort issues is to switch everything off when it is no longer needed/desired/comfortable. I like to sleep in complete darkness and loathe aircons. Even the white noise of a fan is unwelcome for too long. So I also have a 12V pedestal fan with a timer switch.

Another plus point of LED tubes is the LEDs are NOT in a vacuum with Mercury inside the tube.

Children
  • Senior moment, that's brilliant you made your own solar powered torch! Have you made anything else yourself?

Yes I agree that the lights can be more directed. They are on our side street. I know main roads tend to be different as they need more lighting. 

It's not so much the glare, it's more how they make me feel! What is a reminsince tint?