Inability to hold down a job. Why?

The first place I was in (full time contract) held a meeting between management and HR and said I could leave the job there and then and be paid for the three months notice I would have worked. I hated the environment in that place so I was glad to go. I was told in the past while in this job that I wasn't productive enough. I worked here just under a year,

The second place did not renew my 3 month temporary contract citing performance and quality issues. This does not make sense as I focus a lot on detail so the quality should at least have been good. Four other temporary staff were kept on after their contracts ended. Out of the 5 temporary people, I was the only one not kept on.

Is this a pattern that's going to keep repeating itself? Saddening if so. Do they see the aspergers and make excuses to get rid of me? I thought my work quality was far better than others who were more pally with management (in other words the *** lickers).

I have always found I need to keep starting again in life. I'm in my 30s and it's back to the drawing board. 

Parents
  • This story sounds very similar to mine - even down to the rough timeframe. The longest I've held a job is one year and three months, and it ran me into the ground. I had to quit before it completely destroyed my mental health. Ironically that was my very first job, and I've been struggling to maintain any kind of work since. The last place I worked I had high hopes for, but I was let go a few months after the probation period ended. This was 4 years ago.

I was always led to believe I wouldn't have any problems finding work due to academic prowess, but in my experience my qualifications have meant absolutely nothing to any employers, or if they do then they're outshone by the sheer negative effects of being autistic. If I disclose, I'm discriminated against, and if I don't I'm bullied or shamed. Actual work output seems to matter so much less than social skills. I know this because every time I've gotten feedback for why I didn't fit at the company, the reason has either been directly correlated to my autism (i.e. it's a symptom of it, something I can't change, at least not without a little more lenience or simple adjustments no one seems willing to make), or, worse... Multiple times I've been let go "for my own safety" as funnily enough they're concerned about my mental health and ability to handle my own life so they want to "help me" - by getting rid of me!

I might be grateful for employers' apparent concern for me if they ever actually discussed their concerns with me! Instead assumptions are made about me and, as if I am a child who can't know any better, decisions about my life are seemingly made without ever consulting me. So I am made unemployed in the guise of "protecting" me - why didn't you just ask me how I felt or how I could be supported BEFORE you jumped to letting me go? It would of course be different if I had done something terribly wrong, but I am never told what I did!

Ugh sorry now I'm just ranting. It's so frustrating. How am I supposed to have any belief in my own decisions if I'm constantly being treated like I'm cognitively incapable of having one? I wish money wasn't an object because I'm officially burnt out on even trying to find a job anymore. There's no point in doing something that will never last. And my special interests aren't the useful kind that you can form a career around either...

• This story sounds very similar to mine - even down to the rough timeframe. The longest I've held a job is one year and three months, and it ran me into the ground. I had to quit before it completely destroyed my mental health. Ironically that was my very first job, and I've been struggling to maintain any kind of work since. The last place I worked I had high hopes for, but I was let go a few months after the probation period ended. This was 4 years ago.

I was always led to believe I wouldn't have any problems finding work due to academic prowess, but in my experience my qualifications have meant absolutely nothing to any employers, or if they do then they're outshone by the sheer negative effects of being autistic. If I disclose, I'm discriminated against, and if I don't I'm bullied or shamed. Actual work output seems to matter so much less than social skills. I know this because every time I've gotten feedback for why I didn't fit at the company, the reason has either been directly correlated to my autism (i.e. it's a symptom of it, something I can't change, at least not without a little more lenience or simple adjustments no one seems willing to make), or, worse... Multiple times I've been let go "for my own safety" as funnily enough they're concerned about my mental health and ability to handle my own life so they want to "help me" - by getting rid of me!

I might be grateful for employers' apparent concern for me if they ever actually discussed their concerns with me! Instead assumptions are made about me and, as if I am a child who can't know any better, decisions about my life are seemingly made without ever consulting me. So I am made unemployed in the guise of "protecting" me - why didn't you just ask me how I felt or how I could be supported BEFORE you jumped to letting me go? It would of course be different if I had done something terribly wrong, but I am never told what I did!

Ugh sorry now I'm just ranting. It's so frustrating. How am I supposed to have any belief in my own decisions if I'm constantly being treated like I'm cognitively incapable of having one? I wish money wasn't an object because I'm officially burnt out on even trying to find a job anymore. There's no point in doing something that will never last. And my special interests aren't the useful kind that you can form a career around either...

Children
  • my special interests aren't the useful kind

Don't think that

Surely they are unique, and nobody can do it like you

One of mine is war strategy and tactics, I would need someone like Napoleon or Sun Tzu for a Sunday afternoon tea to actualy have a meaningful conversation about it, so I can do it only in my head, alone.

But it does not bother me

And I've never thought it's useless

and I concur - ranting is good, if you have someone that can take it on in RL, you're lucky

• Ranting is good it helps people let off steam.