Inability to hold down a job. Why?

The first place I was in (full time contract) held a meeting between management and HR and said I could leave the job there and then and be paid for the three months notice I would have worked. I hated the environment in that place so I was glad to go. I was told in the past while in this job that I wasn't productive enough. I worked here just under a year,

The second place did not renew my 3 month temporary contract citing performance and quality issues. This does not make sense as I focus a lot on detail so the quality should at least have been good. Four other temporary staff were kept on after their contracts ended. Out of the 5 temporary people, I was the only one not kept on.

Is this a pattern that's going to keep repeating itself? Saddening if so. Do they see the aspergers and make excuses to get rid of me? I thought my work quality was far better than others who were more pally with management (in other words the *** lickers).

I have always found I need to keep starting again in life. I'm in my 30s and it's back to the drawing board. 

Parents
  • Was made redundant from my job last year because of the pandemic, although I always suspected that the pandemic merely made the redundancy happen sooner.

I only got my ASD diagnosis a few months after that, but I also think that I was put on the redundancy list for things I'd attribute to my autism when looking back. Obviously I didn't want to say I was on the spectrum without being diagnosed, it might have saved me my job, it may not have. 

Trying to find work in an office environment is next to impossible now, I'm no good in retail, shops really mess up my anxiety which can lead to a meltdown, same for pubs and restaurants and basically any other industry that isn't an office.

I've been in and out of work since 2011, and right now ten years later there's nothing out there for me. 

When office jobs do come up (extremely rare) they require far too many qualifications which would cost me money to get or are too far away for me to reasonably get to, and they also want to wear a shirt and tie which causes sensory issues for me.

• Was made redundant from my job last year because of the pandemic, although I always suspected that the pandemic merely made the redundancy happen sooner.

I only got my ASD diagnosis a few months after that, but I also think that I was put on the redundancy list for things I'd attribute to my autism when looking back. Obviously I didn't want to say I was on the spectrum without being diagnosed, it might have saved me my job, it may not have. 

Trying to find work in an office environment is next to impossible now, I'm no good in retail, shops really mess up my anxiety which can lead to a meltdown, same for pubs and restaurants and basically any other industry that isn't an office.

I've been in and out of work since 2011, and right now ten years later there's nothing out there for me. 

When office jobs do come up (extremely rare) they require far too many qualifications which would cost me money to get or are too far away for me to reasonably get to, and they also want to wear a shirt and tie which causes sensory issues for me.

Children
  • I've been made redundant 3 times and each time the criticisms levelled at me now look like aspects of autism.  If I were to move back into the workplace now (i.e. away from self employment which can work much better) I would at least know that I'm autistic and there'd be legislation to protect me.  Not that I'm likely to do that because most office environments are totally toxic to me and my health has improved since I left.  

I'd suggest looking at your skills and inclinations and see whether something can be built up from there.  What are your strengths and your pleasures and can some of these be harnessed, maybe to start an online business or something you can do from home, maybe jsut in a small way at first, to sound the ground?     

Even then, I'd say that work isn't for everyone and that's OK in my book (except for probably having to cope on limited finances).  We unfortunately have to live within a culture that often seems to value people based on their economic output but that doesn't mean we have to share the same values or use them as a cosh with which to beat ourselves.