Autism and poverty

Looking back over my childhood and considering various experiences within my wider family, I can trace not only what I believe to be the "path of autism" but also a fair amount of poverty, to varying degrees. 

Now I'm not suggesting that there's a straightforward link between autism and poverty - certainly I can see many positives to my neurodivergent mind which have enabled me to make a fair living over the years - but the patterns do seem intertwined.  I can see lots of issues with anxiety, depression and addiction too but increasingly I suspect these might be related to undiagnosed (and therefore unsupported) autism.  The patterns seem to involve difficulties in the workplace (choosing and staying in jobs), education (especially higher education where independence and social factors seems to become increasingly important), accessing healthcare and applying for benefits (a stressful process in itself).  

During my teenage years in particular, we went through a lot of poverty and our living conditions were quite poor, to the extent that we didn't dare invite people round and our social isolation became ever worse.  Dad did what work he could, but was trapped in a low paying job and neither of my parents had much knowledge of the benefits system (I was quite shocked recently when my now elderly mother said that we probably could have claimed something to help).  

And going back a generation, my grandmother's house was something of a disaster.  No housework ever done, not much with which to do it, no repairs carried out, not much washing, a LOT of hoarding, alcohol consumption and gambling.  It was like that with my uncles too, although they were very intelligent people and obviously quite talented in many ways.  

Is this all necessarily to do with autism?  Probably not.  But I'm suspicious.  Especially now that my sons are having major difficulties making their way in the world and a lot of our money seems to go on false starts in education and work.  There's some good stuff in there too no doubt, but I'm worried.

Any thoughts?     

Parents
  • I don’t live in poverty, although some would say I do. They would say I do because I get most of my food from food banks, I rarely pay my bills, I don’t have a car and couldn’t afford bus fare even if I wanted to catch a bus, which I don’t. 

However, getting my food from a food bank feels like a privilege to me and I feel like the food is blessed as it is given with love and generosity. I also much prefer the food bank to the supermarket. I like the people who are there and I get to sit down, have a chat to someone who is asking about me and I get a sandwich and a cup of tea. And when I get home, it’s like Christmas Day as you never know what’s going to be in the bags. 

I haven’t needed much food over the past year and I haven’t needed to travel far. And when I do go out, I go by foot or cycle which is helping to rebuild my fitness levels as I’ve been effectively house bound for the past couple of years. And now, when I’m ready to get a weekly shopping list and eat everyday, I’ve won my pip appeal so I no longer need to get my food from the food bank. I am however going to volunteer there because I realised that they are the people I like to be around and I’d like to be there for others as the volunteers have been for me. 

The job centre sent me for an appointment with Reed who are facilitating a health and well being program that my work coach assured me was not about getting me back into work. However, judging by the questions I was asked and what they told me, it is geared towards getting people back into work. She said are you looking for a job with minimum wage? I said I’m not looking for a job at all. I said my previous wage was £35 an hour and now that I know I’ll never work full time again, I’ll be looking for at least double that per hour. She then asked how confident I am with interviews. So I told her very confident because I don’t have them. My agency sorts all that out. She didn’t know what to say because I wasn’t fitting into her neat little boxes but with all fairness to her, she did say they were committed to helping me in whatever way they can and they do have options. However, I know what I need over the next 12 months and if they can offer it, that’s good and if they can’t, that’s also good because I won’t back down. I’ll work when I’m ready and when I am, I’ll be working for myself, and I do need help with that but I know that one way or another, I’ll get the help I need at the right time. 

Poverty is a mindset which will outplay into the physical if somebody holds to the belief in poverty. Poverty can never be fixed from the outside but it can be fixed from the inside but it requires a person to live counter to popular culture because poverty is part of the fabric of popular culture. I think many autistic people take low paid jobs because they’re easier for us to manage. But I won’t be pushed down that route because it’s convenient for other people. I’ve got nothing against working for low pay, I have a different relationship with money than most people, but for me it’s more about what I can give and I know that I’ve got a lot to give. I just need to take my time and let it happen in a way that serves me. I will also be working (not for pay) with autistic people, to help them find what it is they are passionate about and to turn that into a sustainable financial option for them as well. 

• Welcome back.

I was also referred to 'Reed in partnership' last year.  They were quite intense in the help they provided.

Their open office provided almost no privacy when discussing confidential matters. 

• Was that under the Government's "Work Programme"?

Reply Children
  • I was put on the Government's "Work Programme" in about 2011, I personally didn't think it helped me much.  I got a job off an application made before I joined the "Work Programme", the application took a few months to starting work due to slow recruitment process and needing a Disclosure Scotland check. 

I don't know if the "Work Programme" provider got to count it as a success for them and were able to collect a reward from the Government for my success.

• I'm not sure.

I've been through so many of the government's programs and courses.

I can't remember the specific names, which keep changing.

When I left school I spent 6 months on a youth opportunity program  or (YOP) scheme.

Now I under a special social justice team, which means I don't see a workcoach in a job centre.  But I meet with a special advisor in coffee houses or libraries.

• I think so AutToFindOutMore ~ they keep assuring me  they’re not trying to get me to get a job as I’ve told them I’m not looking for one, but that’s exactly what they’re trying to do.