When do autistic traits become autism

HI

have been told that I have a number of autistic traits, but have also been told that they don't necessarily make me autistic.

So when do my autistic traits make me autistic or are at least enough for me to seek help or an assesment.

Cheers

Mark

Parents
  • I would take a guess that it is when the traits are in all areas needed for the autism spectrum. In my assessment they looked at 4 areas - social interaction, social communication, sensory and rigid/inflexible thought. For a diagnosis I had to have difficulties in each of these areas. I think it might also depend on how much impact the traits have on you.

The online aq test can be a good indicator as to whether to seek an assessment.

• Thanks for getting back to me.

I've done the aq test a few times and scored between 38 and 40 out of 50.  I think that's quite high if I'm not mistaken.

• Hi Mark, according to that score you are 'at risk' of ASD. You could print these off and take them to your GP? If you do that, they can refer you for a diagnosis, and you'll probably have to fill out the same questionnaires again. Then wait ages for an assessment. I'm still on the NHS waiting list myself, but I recently had the opportunity to have a free private assessment, after which I was diagnosed.

To answer your original question, I think that the 'triad of impairments' is a reasonably good marker actually. A diagnosis gives a pathway to treatment options, so if you feel you need treatment of any sort, go for it. If you think you can continue to muddle along, then don't bother. I felt it necessary for myself, because I'm in the middle of a stressful phd. Then I'll be back to being unemployed (again), so I wanted to get this stuff sorted before I take the plunge.  

• Hi Mark, according to that score you are 'at risk' of ASD. You could print these off and take them to your GP? If you do that, they can refer you for a diagnosis, and you'll probably have to fill out the same questionnaires again. Then wait ages for an assessment. I'm still on the NHS waiting list myself, but I recently had the opportunity to have a free private assessment, after which I was diagnosed.

To answer your original question, I think that the 'triad of impairments' is a reasonably good marker actually. A diagnosis gives a pathway to treatment options, so if you feel you need treatment of any sort, go for it. If you think you can continue to muddle along, then don't bother. I felt it necessary for myself, because I'm in the middle of a stressful phd. Then I'll be back to being unemployed (again), so I wanted to get this stuff sorted before I take the plunge.  

Children
No Data