Autism and therapy question

I'm 31, male and was diagnosed with autism last year. Though I find Asperger's fits me better, but anyway... I've thought for a while that seeing a psychiatrist would help me with my depression, feelings of self worth and suicide. I even saw a haematologist last week about a blood clotting disorder I have who strongly advised I see a psychiatrist. However, I have a classmate on my college course who has autism and who's off ill due to her depression and anxiety etc. When I suggested to them about seeing a councillor or therapist, she said that they wouldn't work because she has autism. Is this the case for autistic people? Does counselling/therapy not work for people on the spectrum...? It would make sense considering our brains are hardwired differently, therefore making it unlikely that changing our mindset would be effective, or is this just someone who's been misguided...? I imagine seeing a psychiatrist would help in the sense of having someone to talk to and unload my problems onto, but that's probably as far as it'll go.

Thanks

Parents
  • There are therapies for ASD people, some might work well, some less. Same goes for medication. Some might help you out, some might not, or you might have a problem with them.

I have had 'normal' therapy, and that really didn't do the trick. I am going to do two ASD courses next year, and I need to go see an ASD counsellor.

In my case the normal ASD meds give too many problems or I get very agitated. But there are painkillers that accidentally help me calm down a little so that at least I start the day less stressed out and nervous (due to strict schedules).

It comes down to the individual.

• There are therapies for ASD people, some might work well, some less. Same goes for medication. Some might help you out, some might not, or you might have a problem with them.

I have had 'normal' therapy, and that really didn't do the trick. I am going to do two ASD courses next year, and I need to go see an ASD counsellor.

In my case the normal ASD meds give too many problems or I get very agitated. But there are painkillers that accidentally help me calm down a little so that at least I start the day less stressed out and nervous (due to strict schedules).

It comes down to the individual.

Children
No Data