PIP is it worth bothering? It's a headache already

How long is the PIP process?

I phoned up to request a form a few weeks ago and set up all my security details. The lady on the phone was very nice and said the claim form would be sent out and to ring back in a few weeks if it doesn't come. 

It hasn't come so I rang up and they now say they can not verify who I am and I must have rung 3 times today and not gotten through the security questions. This is the first time I have rung in a few weeks. Then I get a phone call back and they can not verify who I am through the national insurance number and I now have a different set of forms and not the original one they said I was getting. Unless the person on the other end of the phone made a typing error I don't understand what is going on and am now in tears with the stress. 

Given I have autism, fibromyalgia and permanently borderline anaemia even though I am on supplements I don't even know if it is worth going through the process or not or whether they will just say no as I can manage to work (through necessity not choice).

All I want is a little bit extra so I can get some extra high quality supplements and get my bills down so I can maybe drop a day or two at work so I can feel normal again and not live between fibromyalgia relapse and autism meltdowns all the time. But that is obviously too much to ask of life right now I just feel so hopeless and doomed to this cycle forever.

Julie

Parents
  • The simple answer to your question is yes it is worth the hassle claiming PIP :BUT: before starting, to take some of the stress out of the process, its possibly worth getting this thought in your head. I can't miss what I've never had. The main reason for starting out that way is because the process can be stressful and can take a long time. Especially if you need to go to tribunal. 

claim forms can be requested online. I try my hardest to avoid direct contact with the DWP because even owning a telephone is considered a sign that communication with others isn't a problem. Citizens advice have always been of some use :BUT: there are others such as mind that are probably better if you have mental health problems. Plus a lot of people are suggesting that cab are not independent of the DWP because the dwp have paid them 51 million quid to help people complete UC claims...However CAB have signed a contract that says something along the lines of we will not speak publicly about the issues UC claimants are facing. And people are facing a lot of problems with UC PIP ESA...Ummmmm the entire benefits system. Even people with cancer trying to claim UC have to wait 5 weeks or more without payments. Homelessness up. Having to use food banks/baby banks is now not uncommon and almost acceptable.

sick and disabled people are under the governments microscope and under attack. People earning 1000's an hour seem to be convincing people earning 12 an hour that people earning 8 are the reason this country is broke. And sick and disabled are scroungers. Hate crime is up. BUT dont let any of that put you off claiming if you think you meet the criteria for a benefit. 

If you need to go to CAB or any other organisation for help with your claim. The dwp may query how you managed to cope with that. You say you have meltdowns. Is this documented ?? by doctors ? have they or any other professionals witnessed any of your meltdowns ? I ask because medical evidence is very important. And evidence relating to inability to cope with others goes a long way towards being awarded ESA(reg35) and without looking it up I'd guess there are a fair number of points awarded in PIP claims for inappropriate risky or aggressive behavior.

Obviously there are a lot of different ways points are awarded. And there are obviously a lot of lies told by the dwp and their assessors. DWP rules state you cannot record medicals unless you have old style police style recording equipment and give them a duplicate of whatever you record...but with that said a judge did allow a hidden recording to be played at appeal. 

HERES THE ADDRESS FOR CLAIM FORM. BE SURE TO SEND ALL LETTERS RECORDED DELIVERY..

https://www.gov.uk/pip/how-to-claim

Other ways to claim

If you find it difficult to use the telephone, you can claim by post or by using a text relay or video relay service.

Send information by post

You can get a form to send information by post (although this can delay the decision on your claim). Write a letter to ask for the form.

Personal Independence Payment New Claims 
    Post Handling Site B 
    Wolverhampton 
    WV99 1AH 

• The simple answer to your question is yes it is worth the hassle claiming PIP :BUT: before starting, to take some of the stress out of the process, its possibly worth getting this thought in your head. I can't miss what I've never had. The main reason for starting out that way is because the process can be stressful and can take a long time. Especially if you need to go to tribunal. 

claim forms can be requested online. I try my hardest to avoid direct contact with the DWP because even owning a telephone is considered a sign that communication with others isn't a problem. Citizens advice have always been of some use :BUT: there are others such as mind that are probably better if you have mental health problems. Plus a lot of people are suggesting that cab are not independent of the DWP because the dwp have paid them 51 million quid to help people complete UC claims...However CAB have signed a contract that says something along the lines of we will not speak publicly about the issues UC claimants are facing. And people are facing a lot of problems with UC PIP ESA...Ummmmm the entire benefits system. Even people with cancer trying to claim UC have to wait 5 weeks or more without payments. Homelessness up. Having to use food banks/baby banks is now not uncommon and almost acceptable.

sick and disabled people are under the governments microscope and under attack. People earning 1000's an hour seem to be convincing people earning 12 an hour that people earning 8 are the reason this country is broke. And sick and disabled are scroungers. Hate crime is up. BUT dont let any of that put you off claiming if you think you meet the criteria for a benefit. 

If you need to go to CAB or any other organisation for help with your claim. The dwp may query how you managed to cope with that. You say you have meltdowns. Is this documented ?? by doctors ? have they or any other professionals witnessed any of your meltdowns ? I ask because medical evidence is very important. And evidence relating to inability to cope with others goes a long way towards being awarded ESA(reg35) and without looking it up I'd guess there are a fair number of points awarded in PIP claims for inappropriate risky or aggressive behavior.

Obviously there are a lot of different ways points are awarded. And there are obviously a lot of lies told by the dwp and their assessors. DWP rules state you cannot record medicals unless you have old style police style recording equipment and give them a duplicate of whatever you record...but with that said a judge did allow a hidden recording to be played at appeal. 

HERES THE ADDRESS FOR CLAIM FORM. BE SURE TO SEND ALL LETTERS RECORDED DELIVERY..

https://www.gov.uk/pip/how-to-claim

Other ways to claim

If you find it difficult to use the telephone, you can claim by post or by using a text relay or video relay service.

Send information by post

You can get a form to send information by post (although this can delay the decision on your claim). Write a letter to ask for the form.

Personal Independence Payment New Claims 
    Post Handling Site B 
    Wolverhampton 
    WV99 1AH 

Children