PIP is it worth bothering? It's a headache already

How long is the PIP process?

I phoned up to request a form a few weeks ago and set up all my security details. The lady on the phone was very nice and said the claim form would be sent out and to ring back in a few weeks if it doesn't come. 

It hasn't come so I rang up and they now say they can not verify who I am and I must have rung 3 times today and not gotten through the security questions. This is the first time I have rung in a few weeks. Then I get a phone call back and they can not verify who I am through the national insurance number and I now have a different set of forms and not the original one they said I was getting. Unless the person on the other end of the phone made a typing error I don't understand what is going on and am now in tears with the stress. 

Given I have autism, fibromyalgia and permanently borderline anaemia even though I am on supplements I don't even know if it is worth going through the process or not or whether they will just say no as I can manage to work (through necessity not choice).

All I want is a little bit extra so I can get some extra high quality supplements and get my bills down so I can maybe drop a day or two at work so I can feel normal again and not live between fibromyalgia relapse and autism meltdowns all the time. But that is obviously too much to ask of life right now I just feel so hopeless and doomed to this cycle forever.

Julie

Parents
  • hi Julie you must persevere you really have to stand your ground it's hard but it's worth it and you can record the assessment it is your right they are actually supposed to be videoing them to assure transparency for you and them but i would get your phone or tape out and just say "im recording this interview as is my right" definitely take a friend with you tell them you couldn't have made it there on your own make sure you don't look polished and pristine the more dishevelled and unkempt the better i know it may seem dishonest but you have to play them at their own game

also have look at this site its extremely useful

www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/

• hi Julie you must persevere you really have to stand your ground it's hard but it's worth it and you can record the assessment it is your right they are actually supposed to be videoing them to assure transparency for you and them but i would get your phone or tape out and just say "im recording this interview as is my right" definitely take a friend with you tell them you couldn't have made it there on your own make sure you don't look polished and pristine the more dishevelled and unkempt the better i know it may seem dishonest but you have to play them at their own game

also have look at this site its extremely useful

www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/

Children
  • I don't look great most of the time to be honest - I am allergic to makeup so no hiding. I am anaemic most of the time, despite taking iron supplements, so have a pasty complexion with dark sunken eyes. Most people comment on how tired I look all the time. I look like I have a bit more colour in me at the moment but only since I dyed my hair red Joy

I am a museum curator, most of my clothes consist of jeans and t-shirts or jumpers in various states of holes and stains as I am handling archaeological material all the time. Thing is I see little problem wearing these clothes outside of the grubby stores - must make a note to tick the needs help assessing what appropriate clothing is box! Last month I went round town in a pair of jeans which had split down the back pocket. I hadn't noticed when I put them on I was showing everyone the colour of my pants. Maybe I should wear those to the interview...