Finding it hard at work

Hi I’ve got aspergers, I’m finding my job very difficult at the moment. I don’t enjoys the job itself, I struggle being around my colleagues especially my team leader. I’m stressed everyday in work and then I take that stress home!

i can’t go on the sick cos I can’t afford to, I can’t claim benefits and I feel trapped in an environment that’s making me unwell. 

I really don’t know what to do. 

Parents
  • Hi Jason,

That's a tough situation, I know.  I'm fortunate in that I get sick pay in my job - but only for a month.  I enjoy my job, but the exhaustion of working around my colleagues makes it difficult.  Sorry, I know this isn't much help to you - though I have been in similar situations in the past.  There's nothing worse than not liking your job.

Can I ask why you can't claim benefits?  I suppose it depends on circumstances, and if you're a home-owner or your partner is working then I can understand.  I was sick for a year once when I was married and had a mortgage, but fortunately we had payment protection insurance to cover us.  In my last job, when I had a short period of sick, I had SSP topped up with Income Support, but it didn't cover everything.

Does your employer know about your Asperger's?  Do you think they're being fair with you over it?  It's sadly a common situation.  You stay in a job because you have no choice, but meantime it's just making you sicker.

I wish I could suggest something more helpful, but my own headspace isn't good at the moment.  I wanted you to know you're not alone.

Tom

• Hi Jason,

That's a tough situation, I know.  I'm fortunate in that I get sick pay in my job - but only for a month.  I enjoy my job, but the exhaustion of working around my colleagues makes it difficult.  Sorry, I know this isn't much help to you - though I have been in similar situations in the past.  There's nothing worse than not liking your job.

Can I ask why you can't claim benefits?  I suppose it depends on circumstances, and if you're a home-owner or your partner is working then I can understand.  I was sick for a year once when I was married and had a mortgage, but fortunately we had payment protection insurance to cover us.  In my last job, when I had a short period of sick, I had SSP topped up with Income Support, but it didn't cover everything.

Does your employer know about your Asperger's?  Do you think they're being fair with you over it?  It's sadly a common situation.  You stay in a job because you have no choice, but meantime it's just making you sicker.

I wish I could suggest something more helpful, but my own headspace isn't good at the moment.  I wanted you to know you're not alone.

Tom

Children
  • Hi tom thanks for replying, benefits aren’t possible as the wife works. I was agency for the last 7 months and the company is taking me on next week so sick pay isn’t an option. Also I only got diagnosed last week and told employers on Monday so it’s to early to say if they supportive or not. 

Also i appreciate u responded as I’m aware what ur dealing with and I hope u get some help in getting better. My last job I took six months off as I was same as I’m feeling now and only took this job as my ssp was going to stop. I wasn’t ready to go back to work and I’m still not. 

This jobs environment is actually worse than the last. No structure, forced overtime and colleagues are all “lads” if u get what I mean.