Finding it hard at work

Hi I’ve got aspergers, I’m finding my job very difficult at the moment. I don’t enjoys the job itself, I struggle being around my colleagues especially my team leader. I’m stressed everyday in work and then I take that stress home!

i can’t go on the sick cos I can’t afford to, I can’t claim benefits and I feel trapped in an environment that’s making me unwell. 

I really don’t know what to do. 

• Hi Jason. Sounds to me you need a new job. Sounds easier send then done but start looking. I would tell your boss what’s going on and get it in wrighting, if they won’t make any reasonable adjustments you could make a claim to cover you until you get a new job. Go speak to a union acas give free work advice. 

• Are there ways you could modify the social interactions to assist you? (Sorry if that sounds mad, I’m not sure what your job is and therefore whether this would be possible).

If you are not sure what you would like to do then how about trying them online quizzes that match your personality/skill set to appropriate jobs (supposedly at least!), just to give you some ideas. Or if possible, try some jobs you think might be right voluntarily and see if they fit.

• Maybe I won’t be using propranolol a lot then as I drive, don’t think that would be a gd idea

• This has killed more jobs for me in the last five years than most other things I've done.  My solution was to only take short term contracts and move jobs a lot.  If all you crave is a permanent job, then that advice isn't going to help you that much.  in my case i grow bored of jobs very quickly, mostly within 4 months I leave and grab something new.  occasionally I can last up to a year, but their is always some fallout when i do that, or i start setting myself crazy challenges at work.  At the last place i redid an area of a warehouse and optimised it massively based on products that were frequently picked, then got a disciplinary for it, and subsequently told the line manager were to stick his job.  Then had a new job by 9am the next morning in a different warehouse.  This is the cycle i worked for five years.

Practial advice.  Any chance your doctor would let you have some valium?  My advice, dont use it a lot if you can get it.  No more than a tablet a week.  I break mine into quarters and only use a quarter at a time.  Since it has a long half life in the body it does the trick for acute stress and anxiety.  i wouldnt recommend taking it a lot as it is addictive long term if you use it too much and the withdrawal is said to be worse than coming off heroin.

I think propranolol is a bit of a sledgehammer to crack a nut type solution.  But if it works for you, try it.  Just be wary around machinery, as it can make you dizzy and in bad cases pass out.

• Just an update to this, I had to leave work early today as my stress levels were peaking and I was losing my temper with everything and nothing at same time.

My doc has prescribed me with propranolol to take the edge off a little and hopefully function a little better.

The funny thing is, as soon as I’ve got in my safe zone(bedroom with tv on, watching twitch or listening to music now) I’m feeling fine. But I know if I went to work tomorrow I’d instantly be stressed again.  

• So far they’re being alright. The only issue is that the area I struggle most with, being social they can’t change as my job involves working with people. The change of career is the best course it just I don’t know what job to do

• It’s a difficult situation that I have experienced myself. I note though that you are recently diagnosed, and are not sure if your employer is supportive yet. Perhaps you should ask to discuss reasonable adjustments with them, or if you find this difficult then put it in writing for them and see what their response is. Maybe also think about whether you want your colleagues to know your diagnosis. You could contact Access to Work as they can work with you and your employer to support you in work.

If your employer does turn out to not be supportive, then in reality the best thing would be to find another job, otherwise the difficulties will only continue. You could always look for another job that would fit you well and make some applications whilst still working for your current employer, as that way it will have less impact on your financial position if you do change jobs.

Alternatively, if you think a short break would be enough to help then you could try taking a couple of weeks leave and seeing if that helps.

• Hi tom thanks for replying, benefits aren’t possible as the wife works. I was agency for the last 7 months and the company is taking me on next week so sick pay isn’t an option. Also I only got diagnosed last week and told employers on Monday so it’s to early to say if they supportive or not. 

Also i appreciate u responded as I’m aware what ur dealing with and I hope u get some help in getting better. My last job I took six months off as I was same as I’m feeling now and only took this job as my ssp was going to stop. I wasn’t ready to go back to work and I’m still not. 

This jobs environment is actually worse than the last. No structure, forced overtime and colleagues are all “lads” if u get what I mean. 

• Hi Jason,

That's a tough situation, I know.  I'm fortunate in that I get sick pay in my job - but only for a month.  I enjoy my job, but the exhaustion of working around my colleagues makes it difficult.  Sorry, I know this isn't much help to you - though I have been in similar situations in the past.  There's nothing worse than not liking your job.

Can I ask why you can't claim benefits?  I suppose it depends on circumstances, and if you're a home-owner or your partner is working then I can understand.  I was sick for a year once when I was married and had a mortgage, but fortunately we had payment protection insurance to cover us.  In my last job, when I had a short period of sick, I had SSP topped up with Income Support, but it didn't cover everything.

Does your employer know about your Asperger's?  Do you think they're being fair with you over it?  It's sadly a common situation.  You stay in a job because you have no choice, but meantime it's just making you sicker.

I wish I could suggest something more helpful, but my own headspace isn't good at the moment.  I wanted you to know you're not alone.

Tom