Mental turmoil and newly self-diagnosed

I’ve just realised that I probably am Autistic, although my friends and family will be very surprised as I mask very well. Much of my turmoil is internal but occassionally gets verbalised. I will be seeking a formal diagnosis. 

Since realising that I probably am Autistic, I’ve felt like I’m in a constant state of meltdown internally. I can’t focus on anything, I’m obsessed with reading about Autism in women (I am a woman, in my 30’s), my thoughts race, I feel anxious and sick. Because I don’t  KNOW for sure, I’m not officially diagnosed, I feel like I can’t relax until I know for sure, and also it’s like I’m having to reassess all my beliefs and experiences which I’d previously attributed to other things (laziness, depression, dyslexia, anxiety, just being a bit different, being highly sensitive, childhood trauma, an empath etc etc etc). But I feel can’t properly decide whether they are all due to being Autistic until I have a proper diagnosis. It would explain a lot of problems in my marriage too. 

Has anyone else experienced this? A difficult time processing you diagnosis/potential diagnosis? 

Also, a work thing has happened, a small thing really. A colleague has emailed a manager hinting at me not having done my job properly, or at least that’s how I’ve percieved it. It’s sent me into total meltdown because I know I have. I feel physically sick and like I might pass out, it’s a bodily feeling of meltdown if that makes sense? Like I’m angry in every fibre of my being. I can’t just let it go/forget about it/not worry as my friends have suggested. It’s a situation which is easily resolvable as I have evidence, but I have to work with this colleague and feel betrayed. It’s the feeling of not being able to let it go and it becoming such a huge thing when it’s not a huge thing to anyone else. This happens a lot. I’ve left many a job because of it and because I can’t cope with these feelings. It’s like wherever I go aI feel I’m being persecuted.

Is this a ‘normal’ Autistic experience? Could it be caused by Autism? I just feel so different and such shame for not being able to cope with situations like this which other people seem to percieve as just bumps.

Parents
  • I had this realisation about 18 months ago. Many light bulb moments, obsessive reading and researching. I ferl i can manage stress and conflict better as i can attribute AS to myself. No one has ever mention autism to me. I have raised it with a few close people who have laughed it off. I was quite offnded. My partner is very supportive. I dont know if i should go forward with a diagnosis as i have managed 33years without one. I dont know if i want the stress of diagnostic process. There have beensome great comments and advice on a thread i started about 3 weeks ago reWomen and men diagnosed with ASD in later life. you are not alone. Best of luck.

I can identify with your qupte below. Not necessarily in work but life in general.

It’s the feeling of not being able to let it go and it becoming such a huge thing when it’s not a huge thing to anyone else
  • I had this realisation about 18 months ago. Many light bulb moments, obsessive reading and researching. I ferl i can manage stress and conflict better as i can attribute AS to myself. No one has ever mention autism to me. I have raised it with a few close people who have laughed it off. I was quite offnded. My partner is very supportive. I dont know if i should go forward with a diagnosis as i have managed 33years without one. I dont know if i want the stress of diagnostic process. There have beensome great comments and advice on a thread i started about 3 weeks ago reWomen and men diagnosed with ASD in later life. you are not alone. Best of luck.

I can identify with your qupte below. Not necessarily in work but life in general.

It’s the feeling of not being able to let it go and it becoming such a huge thing when it’s not a huge thing to anyone else
Children
No Data