AQ test

I'm trying to get myself to a point where I can go to the doctor and ask for a referall for a diagnosis. I decided to start by writing down all the reasons I think I am autistic. I wanted to include the AQ test result. I find some of the long AQ test questions (50 questions) difficult to answer.

For example:

• I would rather go to a library than a party. - I wouldn't want to do either so how can I answer that. I hate parties because they are too social and loud and peopley and often expect dressing up and dancing etc. I hate libraries because they are too quiet and I find it eerie. So how can I answer that question. My answer is I'd rather stay at home.
  • I prefer to do things on my own rather than with others. - It would depend on the situation. I do not like going to new places by myself at all and things I enjoy such as the cinema I'd prefer to go with others. But there are also times that I just need my own company. So again unsure how to answer.
  • I am fascinated by numbers. - I like maths and enjoy challenging maths problems but I'm not sure this would qualify as fascinated?
  • I find it easy to work out what someone is thinking or feeling just by looking at their face. - I can generally tell when people are really happy or angry or upset. But there are some facial expressions I struggle with. Sometimes it's easy to work what someone is feeling and sometimes it really isn't. I do often find myself trying to work out what people are thinking though. So does this mean I disagree.

Having written this I've concluded that I'm probably really over thinking this but I like things to be right. Anyone else had an issue with the AQ test? Any advice?

Parents
  • The AQ test specifically is designed to see where you fit on the spectrum based on the answers Defintely/Somewhat Agree/Disagree.

Party/Library (you hate parties but find library too quiet) = Somewhat agree

Of course, if at home you have a collection of books/music/videos/games/etc - haven't you created your own library?

Own/Others (how much time do you spend doing activities with others compared to your own company) = Somewhat

Numbers (like maths but do not consider yourself as fascinated) = Somewhat Agree

Face recognition is an altogether different matter and I had the same experience as you - that was until I took the online test (see link in other posting on this thread).  There were a number of examples to follow (Which face is more afraid? Which face is happier? Which face is angrier?) and I did OK for the first few after which it became harder and, very quickly, impossible.  But taking these alternative tests should provide you with the required answer.

• Thank you. This was really helpful. Can you answer 1 more for me? 

I am often the last to understand the point of a joke - this varies so much depending on the joke and how well I know the person telling it. Sometimes I am last to understand, sometimes I point blank dont get it but I can also be the first to get it. So do I slightly agree or slightly disagree with that?

Sorry I just liked the way you explained the other ones.

• For me it was a simple matter of totting up what I found funny against what I didn't.  And it's not always the "literal" punchline of standup but the visual one that's important.

It's easier for me to tell you what I don't like - and that's modern "humour" with it's spite and sarcasm (just don't get it).  Much like the banter I used to try and understand when I was at work (some of it really hurt me but wouldn't let it show).

I could go on quite a bit on what I do like but I'll stick to a top 5

1. Slapstick/silent movies (Buster Keaton - Seven Chances) = visual
    2. Monty Python (Terry Gilliam animation - Fish Slapping Dance) = visual
    3. Tom & Jerry (and all similar cartoons) = visual
    4. Modern punsters like Tim Vine and Milton Jones = literal?
    5. Last but not least Ronnie Barker (four candles/fork handles) = literal?

I've put a question mark on the last 2 simply because it's word based - but what they're doing is seeding our visual mind and turning it on its head (pun intended)

I can't give you a straight answer but I hope the feedback gives you something to work on.

• For me it was a simple matter of totting up what I found funny against what I didn't.  And it's not always the "literal" punchline of standup but the visual one that's important.

It's easier for me to tell you what I don't like - and that's modern "humour" with it's spite and sarcasm (just don't get it).  Much like the banter I used to try and understand when I was at work (some of it really hurt me but wouldn't let it show).

I could go on quite a bit on what I do like but I'll stick to a top 5

1. Slapstick/silent movies (Buster Keaton - Seven Chances) = visual
    2. Monty Python (Terry Gilliam animation - Fish Slapping Dance) = visual
    3. Tom & Jerry (and all similar cartoons) = visual
    4. Modern punsters like Tim Vine and Milton Jones = literal?
    5. Last but not least Ronnie Barker (four candles/fork handles) = literal?

I've put a question mark on the last 2 simply because it's word based - but what they're doing is seeding our visual mind and turning it on its head (pun intended)

I can't give you a straight answer but I hope the feedback gives you something to work on.

Children