AQ test

I'm trying to get myself to a point where I can go to the doctor and ask for a referall for a diagnosis. I decided to start by writing down all the reasons I think I am autistic. I wanted to include the AQ test result. I find some of the long AQ test questions (50 questions) difficult to answer.

For example:

• I would rather go to a library than a party. - I wouldn't want to do either so how can I answer that. I hate parties because they are too social and loud and peopley and often expect dressing up and dancing etc. I hate libraries because they are too quiet and I find it eerie. So how can I answer that question. My answer is I'd rather stay at home.
  • I prefer to do things on my own rather than with others. - It would depend on the situation. I do not like going to new places by myself at all and things I enjoy such as the cinema I'd prefer to go with others. But there are also times that I just need my own company. So again unsure how to answer.
  • I am fascinated by numbers. - I like maths and enjoy challenging maths problems but I'm not sure this would qualify as fascinated?
  • I find it easy to work out what someone is thinking or feeling just by looking at their face. - I can generally tell when people are really happy or angry or upset. But there are some facial expressions I struggle with. Sometimes it's easy to work what someone is feeling and sometimes it really isn't. I do often find myself trying to work out what people are thinking though. So does this mean I disagree.

Having written this I've concluded that I'm probably really over thinking this but I like things to be right. Anyone else had an issue with the AQ test? Any advice?

• Thanks you've been really helpful. I think this one is the hardest to make a decision on but definitely much clearer on how to go about answering the questions.

• For me it was a simple matter of totting up what I found funny against what I didn't.  And it's not always the "literal" punchline of standup but the visual one that's important.

It's easier for me to tell you what I don't like - and that's modern "humour" with it's spite and sarcasm (just don't get it).  Much like the banter I used to try and understand when I was at work (some of it really hurt me but wouldn't let it show).

I could go on quite a bit on what I do like but I'll stick to a top 5

1. Slapstick/silent movies (Buster Keaton - Seven Chances) = visual
    2. Monty Python (Terry Gilliam animation - Fish Slapping Dance) = visual
    3. Tom & Jerry (and all similar cartoons) = visual
    4. Modern punsters like Tim Vine and Milton Jones = literal?
    5. Last but not least Ronnie Barker (four candles/fork handles) = literal?

I've put a question mark on the last 2 simply because it's word based - but what they're doing is seeding our visual mind and turning it on its head (pun intended)

I can't give you a straight answer but I hope the feedback gives you something to work on.

• Of course, if at home you have a collection of books/music/videos/games/etc - haven't you created your own library?

Spot on! Love it! Laughing 

• Thanks. It's why I want to do it really. I think I will feel better knowing for sure. It's just taking that first step that's so hard.

• Thank you. This was really helpful. Can you answer 1 more for me? 

I am often the last to understand the point of a joke - this varies so much depending on the joke and how well I know the person telling it. Sometimes I am last to understand, sometimes I point blank dont get it but I can also be the first to get it. So do I slightly agree or slightly disagree with that?

Sorry I just liked the way you explained the other ones.

• The AQ test specifically is designed to see where you fit on the spectrum based on the answers Defintely/Somewhat Agree/Disagree.

Party/Library (you hate parties but find library too quiet) = Somewhat agree

Of course, if at home you have a collection of books/music/videos/games/etc - haven't you created your own library?

Own/Others (how much time do you spend doing activities with others compared to your own company) = Somewhat

Numbers (like maths but do not consider yourself as fascinated) = Somewhat Agree

Face recognition is an altogether different matter and I had the same experience as you - that was until I took the online test (see link in other posting on this thread).  There were a number of examples to follow (Which face is more afraid? Which face is happier? Which face is angrier?) and I did OK for the first few after which it became harder and, very quickly, impossible.  But taking these alternative tests should provide you with the required answer.

• That does help. Thank you. Average score is a good idea. I will have a look at the other tests.

• Hi there

I did a lot of online test before going to the GP and the full list is documented on a separate posting...

https://community.autism.org.uk/f/adults-on-the-autistic-spectrum/12994/diagnosis-experience-and-coping-strategies-for-obsessions

Then I created a summary of the results with the following headings:-

• Test Name
    • Date
    • My Score
    • Average Score
    • Indicator (Y/N - to denote whether it was a positive ASD indicator)
    • URL

I took this and any hard copies of the individual test to my GP.  The summary was all he needed to press ahead with the referral.

The next step was for me to help the GP complete the clinical referral application which, in turn, has allowed me to go on the waiting list.  The first step for me was the completion of a number of forms as part of the initial screening - this included the main tests from the Autism Research Centre (AQ/EQ/RQ).

Usually, the GP won't have the time to discuss at too much length at a normal (10 minute?) appointment so best to keep it short and simple, and highlighting just the relevant information.

Hope that helps

• I don't think you have to take anyone with you. For me that came several meetings down the line. I think that the fact you are wanting to learn about yourself is half the battle. You can only understand things better with more knowledge, and getting some perspective can also open a whole world up for you. For me, finding out that I had autism was such a relief, rather than going through cycles of anti depressants, and wondering why I didn't quite fit in properly. Also its such a relief not to spend all my days trying to copy what I think I should be like from people around me. 

• Ye I'm trying to make a list but i feel like its getting too long. I need to get my gp to refer it first so I'm not sure how much detail to take to them. I've got to pluck up the courage to actually do it first. The other thing that bothers me is I also tick quite a lot of boxes for adhd so do I bring up them both at the same time or deal with one thing at a time.

I don't like the idea of having to take someone who knows me well. There isn't anyone I feel like I could ask.

• I can sympathize with you on this. Sometimes I feel like I can answer the questions differently one day from another, sometimes even the same day. Looking at the questions, they are more of a guideline.

When I sat down with a doctor from the Autistic diagnostic service he spoke to me about it, and that on balance, it is also about how you feel about yourself, combined with other factors. It was very interesting seeing the things they picked up on from my body language, movements, eye patterns etc.

Also I had an appointment where I had to take someone who knew me well, so I took my wife, and that really opened my eyes a lot.

Its worth making a note of all the things you feel and want to ask 

• I'd say don't stress over it too much.  I gave answers to my first AQ that gave me a score of 34.  When I took more time to consider my answers, and answered in what I thought was a more 'neutral' way - I scored 42.  33, anyway, is pretty indicative.

• I just find the slightly agree and slightly disagree a bit weird and cant decide which way to go. I want there to be a middle answer. Either way the score comes over 33 so I don't think I actually need to stress about it. I just want it to be as honest as possible. Just looked at the 10 one. That makes it a lot more definite. There is only one I'm not sure on on that test and that would bring my score down to a 9. Hmmm.

• The test gives a broad range of answers, I think.  A lot of mine were 'Definitely' or 'Definitely Not'.  The ones where it was more problematic, such as those you've mentioned, I answered less definitively.

There is a shorter test, too.  The AQ 10.  Try that...

AQ 10 Test

• Thanks. Glad I'm not the only one. Pen and pencil is a good shout. I just want to be able to answer none or sometimes. I also find the concept of slightly agreeing with something a bit daft. 

What does rewiring the electrics to your house have to do with autism? I mean my answer would be no I'd blow myself up but I think that's more to being clueless about electrics than autism.

• yeah I struggled a bit with some of the questions, like you I wanted to give alternative answers.

I had another test to do for my assessment which was even more specific - eg "would you be happy rewiring the electrics in your house?"

I ended up filling in the questions I felt confident answering in pen, and the ones I wasn't so sure on in pencil, and explained this.