AQ test

I'm trying to get myself to a point where I can go to the doctor and ask for a referall for a diagnosis. I decided to start by writing down all the reasons I think I am autistic. I wanted to include the AQ test result. I find some of the long AQ test questions (50 questions) difficult to answer.

For example:

• I would rather go to a library than a party. - I wouldn't want to do either so how can I answer that. I hate parties because they are too social and loud and peopley and often expect dressing up and dancing etc. I hate libraries because they are too quiet and I find it eerie. So how can I answer that question. My answer is I'd rather stay at home.
  • I prefer to do things on my own rather than with others. - It would depend on the situation. I do not like going to new places by myself at all and things I enjoy such as the cinema I'd prefer to go with others. But there are also times that I just need my own company. So again unsure how to answer.
  • I am fascinated by numbers. - I like maths and enjoy challenging maths problems but I'm not sure this would qualify as fascinated?
  • I find it easy to work out what someone is thinking or feeling just by looking at their face. - I can generally tell when people are really happy or angry or upset. But there are some facial expressions I struggle with. Sometimes it's easy to work what someone is feeling and sometimes it really isn't. I do often find myself trying to work out what people are thinking though. So does this mean I disagree.

Having written this I've concluded that I'm probably really over thinking this but I like things to be right. Anyone else had an issue with the AQ test? Any advice?

Parents
  • Hi there

I did a lot of online test before going to the GP and the full list is documented on a separate posting...

https://community.autism.org.uk/f/adults-on-the-autistic-spectrum/12994/diagnosis-experience-and-coping-strategies-for-obsessions

Then I created a summary of the results with the following headings:-

• Test Name
    • Date
    • My Score
    • Average Score
    • Indicator (Y/N - to denote whether it was a positive ASD indicator)
    • URL

I took this and any hard copies of the individual test to my GP.  The summary was all he needed to press ahead with the referral.

The next step was for me to help the GP complete the clinical referral application which, in turn, has allowed me to go on the waiting list.  The first step for me was the completion of a number of forms as part of the initial screening - this included the main tests from the Autism Research Centre (AQ/EQ/RQ).

Usually, the GP won't have the time to discuss at too much length at a normal (10 minute?) appointment so best to keep it short and simple, and highlighting just the relevant information.

Hope that helps

• That does help. Thank you. Average score is a good idea. I will have a look at the other tests.

Reply Children
No Data