AQ test

I'm trying to get myself to a point where I can go to the doctor and ask for a referall for a diagnosis. I decided to start by writing down all the reasons I think I am autistic. I wanted to include the AQ test result. I find some of the long AQ test questions (50 questions) difficult to answer.

For example:

• I would rather go to a library than a party. - I wouldn't want to do either so how can I answer that. I hate parties because they are too social and loud and peopley and often expect dressing up and dancing etc. I hate libraries because they are too quiet and I find it eerie. So how can I answer that question. My answer is I'd rather stay at home.
  • I prefer to do things on my own rather than with others. - It would depend on the situation. I do not like going to new places by myself at all and things I enjoy such as the cinema I'd prefer to go with others. But there are also times that I just need my own company. So again unsure how to answer.
  • I am fascinated by numbers. - I like maths and enjoy challenging maths problems but I'm not sure this would qualify as fascinated?
  • I find it easy to work out what someone is thinking or feeling just by looking at their face. - I can generally tell when people are really happy or angry or upset. But there are some facial expressions I struggle with. Sometimes it's easy to work what someone is feeling and sometimes it really isn't. I do often find myself trying to work out what people are thinking though. So does this mean I disagree.

Having written this I've concluded that I'm probably really over thinking this but I like things to be right. Anyone else had an issue with the AQ test? Any advice?

Parents
  • I can sympathize with you on this. Sometimes I feel like I can answer the questions differently one day from another, sometimes even the same day. Looking at the questions, they are more of a guideline.

When I sat down with a doctor from the Autistic diagnostic service he spoke to me about it, and that on balance, it is also about how you feel about yourself, combined with other factors. It was very interesting seeing the things they picked up on from my body language, movements, eye patterns etc.

Also I had an appointment where I had to take someone who knew me well, so I took my wife, and that really opened my eyes a lot.

Its worth making a note of all the things you feel and want to ask 

• I can sympathize with you on this. Sometimes I feel like I can answer the questions differently one day from another, sometimes even the same day. Looking at the questions, they are more of a guideline.

When I sat down with a doctor from the Autistic diagnostic service he spoke to me about it, and that on balance, it is also about how you feel about yourself, combined with other factors. It was very interesting seeing the things they picked up on from my body language, movements, eye patterns etc.

Also I had an appointment where I had to take someone who knew me well, so I took my wife, and that really opened my eyes a lot.

Its worth making a note of all the things you feel and want to ask 

Children
  • Ye I'm trying to make a list but i feel like its getting too long. I need to get my gp to refer it first so I'm not sure how much detail to take to them. I've got to pluck up the courage to actually do it first. The other thing that bothers me is I also tick quite a lot of boxes for adhd so do I bring up them both at the same time or deal with one thing at a time.

I don't like the idea of having to take someone who knows me well. There isn't anyone I feel like I could ask.