Understanding NVLD

Hello all,

I was diagnosed with NVLD while at university, but I've never really understood what that means for me as an individual. I have read my diagnosis report numerous times and I still feel unable to comprehend what is actually 'wrong' with me. My biggest struggle is with employment because although I say that I have NVLD and I am asked how can we support you, I actually have no idea because I do not understand my impairments (my employer hasn't even heard of this impairment either which isn't a huge help).

I wanted to reach out to other people with NVLD and ask what adjustments have been made for you in order to make your job easier.

Thanks in advance 

Parents
  • Hullo and welcome to the forum.

I don't believe I have NVLD, although might have mild dyspraxia (someone here mentioned that NVLD tends to get diagnosed in the US, whereas in the UK it tends to fall under dyspraxia.)

It's a good question. I find it very hard to explain my problems myself. I think more detailed tests to produce a cognitive and autism profile is potentially useful.

Do you or other people notice that you make mistakes at particular activities, or have to take extra care over them?

• I think my working memory and being able to think under pressure is the main issue with me, but this is not helped with my anxiety either. I am always forgetting stuff, so I can find procedures with multiple steps difficult to remember. In my last job I had to remember a lot of procedures, and sometimes I made mistakes which I was called into the manager for (nothing massive in my opinion, they could have just spoken to me rather than recording the conversations) and coupled with a incident which required a disciplinary hearing I lost my job :) The incident by itself would not have meant that I would have lost my job, because I know others who had done the same but only got a written warning. They just didn't like that my memory wasn't great and I was making these mistakes, which is fair enough. I don't think it was for me if I am going to a liability so I'm not too bothered by it.

• I think my working memory and being able to think under pressure is the main issue with me, but this is not helped with my anxiety either. I am always forgetting stuff, so I can find procedures with multiple steps difficult to remember. In my last job I had to remember a lot of procedures, and sometimes I made mistakes which I was called into the manager for (nothing massive in my opinion, they could have just spoken to me rather than recording the conversations) and coupled with a incident which required a disciplinary hearing I lost my job :) The incident by itself would not have meant that I would have lost my job, because I know others who had done the same but only got a written warning. They just didn't like that my memory wasn't great and I was making these mistakes, which is fair enough. I don't think it was for me if I am going to a liability so I'm not too bothered by it.

Children
No Data