Understanding NVLD

Hello all,

I was diagnosed with NVLD while at university, but I've never really understood what that means for me as an individual. I have read my diagnosis report numerous times and I still feel unable to comprehend what is actually 'wrong' with me. My biggest struggle is with employment because although I say that I have NVLD and I am asked how can we support you, I actually have no idea because I do not understand my impairments (my employer hasn't even heard of this impairment either which isn't a huge help).

I wanted to reach out to other people with NVLD and ask what adjustments have been made for you in order to make your job easier.

Thanks in advance 

• If on Facebook  then  check out  " NVLD/NLD and Neurodivergence -- Discussion and Support " group .

• Maybe the NVLD diagnostic report just doesn't give enough detail? It may suggest a non-verbal IQ that's less than verbal IQ, but non-verbal IQ that covers all kinds of faculties. So is it worth going back and asking the diagnostician what the diagnosis means?

, are you in the UK? Sounds like you were badly treated at work, so there might be an Equality Act aspect.

It seems reasonable adjustments might be more time to process stuff, using written aides memoires, and a less stressful environment. I also find it hard to focus on the task in hand when anxious (or rather in a social situation), although maybe it improves with practice.

If it's at all like ADHD, here's one idea: nohalfmeasures.quora.com/A-recipe-for-success.There may be other useful ideas on that blog.

• Hi there,

I think the best thing to do is to read over your report, and highlight the difficulties you are facing. Then, either by talking with a friend or brainstorming yourself, figuring out how these would impact your ability of work, and what could be done to reduce the impact of these difficulties, and subsequently relaying this to the employer. Even if your employer hasn't heard of NVLD, they will be able to accommodate your difficulties if you tell them exactly what would help :)

Much love <3

• I think my working memory and being able to think under pressure is the main issue with me, but this is not helped with my anxiety either. I am always forgetting stuff, so I can find procedures with multiple steps difficult to remember. In my last job I had to remember a lot of procedures, and sometimes I made mistakes which I was called into the manager for (nothing massive in my opinion, they could have just spoken to me rather than recording the conversations) and coupled with a incident which required a disciplinary hearing I lost my job :) The incident by itself would not have meant that I would have lost my job, because I know others who had done the same but only got a written warning. They just didn't like that my memory wasn't great and I was making these mistakes, which is fair enough. I don't think it was for me if I am going to a liability so I'm not too bothered by it.

• 'Non-verbal learning disorder'

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nonverbal_learning_disorder

Generally the idea that your language is good, but have problems with spatial thinking, which is the opposite of the way one would usually think of autism. Even many psychiatrists doubt it's a meaningful diagnosis. I think a profile of various cognitive abilities might show it up.

(NVLD may be more diagnosed in the US than in Britain, where it may get diagnosed as dyspraxia.)

• Hullo and welcome to the forum.

I don't believe I have NVLD, although might have mild dyspraxia (someone here mentioned that NVLD tends to get diagnosed in the US, whereas in the UK it tends to fall under dyspraxia.)

It's a good question. I find it very hard to explain my problems myself. I think more detailed tests to produce a cognitive and autism profile is potentially useful.

Do you or other people notice that you make mistakes at particular activities, or have to take extra care over them?