Received formal NHS diagnosis

WHO ICD-10 Version: 2016 F84.5 Asperger syndrome

A forgone conclusion really, but somehow satisfying all the same to get the confirmation at 44 years of age. 

Parents
  • F84.5

Same here, in late 40s. Did you get an ADOS-2 score? Mine was 13, but I think 2 of those points were the assessor's mistake.

All the best for the rest of your life.

• Actually, they only told me verbally on Friday. All that was said at the end of the consultation was:

DSM-5 Autism Spectrum Disorder

ICD-10 Asperger syndrome

I looked up ICD-10 when I got home. 

Letter and report to follow (sounds like there's a backlog...)

• My letter took three months to be typed up, or went via Ulaan Bataar sorting office. It was about four pages of stuff I'd told them, plus the score. I regret somewhat not asking for more detailed feedback.

You may be able to find DSM-5 in the library, but there are no sympathetic characters, and the ending was a bit of a let-down.

• Ah, in order to make a joke, I should not have opted for a cultural touchstone that was so lowbrow and antiquated as to fall into obscurity. Yes, the main salient feature of the series of films, relevant to the purported humour, was that there were about half-a-dozen of them and they were increasingly hackneyed, predictable and repetitive and not 'well received by critics'. But mention of authority figures versus the downtrodden could also have relevance to psychiatry, even if the films' narrative of quest for existential authenticity within a conservative and regimented power structure presented an allegory that was lost on critics the likes of Pauline Kael.

Mr Logic out. Next time, I'll try references to Ibsen.

• An interesting analogy with Police Academy. Having just raided the giddy authority of Wikipedia, the films present to the audience... 

“...the theme [of] a group of underdogs struggling to prove themselves while various stereotyped authority figures tried to suppress them. The sequels have not yet been well received by critics.”

strangely apt..

• Yes, and it was the fifth in the series (not including re-cuts). You would have thought these psychiatrists would have tried breaking new ground, but it's just same old, same old. It's worse than Police Academy.

• Disappointing... but not surprising 

• The index, as I recall.

Reply Children
  • Ah, in order to make a joke, I should not have opted for a cultural touchstone that was so lowbrow and antiquated as to fall into obscurity. Yes, the main salient feature of the series of films, relevant to the purported humour, was that there were about half-a-dozen of them and they were increasingly hackneyed, predictable and repetitive and not 'well received by critics'. But mention of authority figures versus the downtrodden could also have relevance to psychiatry, even if the films' narrative of quest for existential authenticity within a conservative and regimented power structure presented an allegory that was lost on critics the likes of Pauline Kael.

Mr Logic out. Next time, I'll try references to Ibsen.

• An interesting analogy with Police Academy. Having just raided the giddy authority of Wikipedia, the films present to the audience... 

“...the theme [of] a group of underdogs struggling to prove themselves while various stereotyped authority figures tried to suppress them. The sequels have not yet been well received by critics.”

strangely apt..

• Yes, and it was the fifth in the series (not including re-cuts). You would have thought these psychiatrists would have tried breaking new ground, but it's just same old, same old. It's worse than Police Academy.

• Disappointing... but not surprising