Security Lights

I am terrified of security lights that neighbours use when they sense movement because I find it very difficult to simply ignore them and I have to somehow block them out in some way. Is this something anyone else has had trouble with?

Parents
  • If they are causing you a nuisance, by shining into your own house, for example, the neighbours should adjust them so that they don't do that. There is no need for you to put up with that, and it isn't an autistic thing to find that annoying.

• Well, Dragon, the previous owners of the house across the street from us sold it to whomever and it has been developed over the past months to become larger and actually it was quite interesting to see it coming along up until a few days ago when they put up several new security lights, one of which happens to be at an angle directly facing my house. I don't think it's been done on purpose and people are entitled to take measures to secure their property but it's just bad luck that it is where it is. The light itself has been angled down a bit so it's not as if they have been completely irresponsible, however, some years ago I had the same problem from a neighbour situated at the back of the house this time who did not bother to adjust their security light and, actually, I had to point out to her that she needed to move it slightly, which she obligingly did. I had to buy special black-out curtains on that occasion too. The thing is, this new situation brings it all back and I'm sad and disappointed that it is now again a problem (at least for me). It may be that I'm just too sensitive and intolerant but I find this kind of thing very intrusive and something very difficult to ignore. I seem to be the only one in my family who is affected so much by this so I wondered if it could be due to some autistic traits in me.Perhaps I'm simply neurotic.

• That would drive me up the wall, especially if it were to shine into my bedroom window at all, because then it would affect my sleep. They are allowed to secure their property up until the point it prevents a neighbour from having peaceful enjoyment of their own home. You would be perfectly within your rights to ask them to point the offending light more to the ground so it doesn't shine in your window at all.

• That would drive me up the wall, especially if it were to shine into my bedroom window at all, because then it would affect my sleep. They are allowed to secure their property up until the point it prevents a neighbour from having peaceful enjoyment of their own home. You would be perfectly within your rights to ask them to point the offending light more to the ground so it doesn't shine in your window at all.

Children