Security Lights

I am terrified of security lights that neighbours use when they sense movement because I find it very difficult to simply ignore them and I have to somehow block them out in some way. Is this something anyone else has had trouble with?

• That's unfortunate, but maybe you should really talk to them? A security system is a very important thing nowadays, so it's understandable they have it. But maybe there's no adjustment function? I ordered the installation of one there securinghome.com, so far none of my neighbors had any complaints.

• I think you are probably right Alex. Thank you.

• I think it would be worth either talking to them about it or contacting the council or landlord about it because its causing stress and i think they will help. I have had probelems with the people that live below me with them being to load in the early hours of the morning and my landlord has taken action to resolve the situation so it might help to speak to someone 

• Thank you Alex. I think it's the constant on/off that gets to me, not so much a steady light, because one can sense the change in light intensity every few seconds, even with closed eyes. Okay, you can put up blackout curtains and/or use some kind of night-light but then I resent having to be forced to take such measures because some inconsiderate idiot can't be bothered to use their security lights with due care

• I dont like flashing lights especially in the dark as i find them very overwhelming so i can relate to what your saying 

• I think it is terribly unfair that you have to wear a mask, DS. I don't know that I would be able to get used to wearing a mask, although given time who knows?

Anyway, thank you for your good will.

• You're right Dragon, although even if they tilted the light down even more I would still be able to detect some of it. It's partly a psychological thing with me in that just knowing a light is coming on upets my peace of mind.

• As I have Posted here before, I try to say more somethings...

There is a new condition, there: When I first posted, I did not know that the "Security Lights" were shining into your house and disturbing your sleep, Thank You. (Had I known that, my reply might have been very different.)

I myself sleep with a "Mask" or by covering my own eyes in some way: I cannot afford "Blinds" or "Blackouts". 

I live in London, where they are currently changing the old Sodium-Streetlights into newer, brighter Dazzling LED lights. One of these is directly outside of where I "live". But the "mask" deals with it... so far.

I do not like to have to cover my eyes, at times, but I have gotten used to it.

I end this Post now, by saying: Please stay good and well.

• That would drive me up the wall, especially if it were to shine into my bedroom window at all, because then it would affect my sleep. They are allowed to secure their property up until the point it prevents a neighbour from having peaceful enjoyment of their own home. You would be perfectly within your rights to ask them to point the offending light more to the ground so it doesn't shine in your window at all.

• Well, Dragon, the previous owners of the house across the street from us sold it to whomever and it has been developed over the past months to become larger and actually it was quite interesting to see it coming along up until a few days ago when they put up several new security lights, one of which happens to be at an angle directly facing my house. I don't think it's been done on purpose and people are entitled to take measures to secure their property but it's just bad luck that it is where it is. The light itself has been angled down a bit so it's not as if they have been completely irresponsible, however, some years ago I had the same problem from a neighbour situated at the back of the house this time who did not bother to adjust their security light and, actually, I had to point out to her that she needed to move it slightly, which she obligingly did. I had to buy special black-out curtains on that occasion too. The thing is, this new situation brings it all back and I'm sad and disappointed that it is now again a problem (at least for me). It may be that I'm just too sensitive and intolerant but I find this kind of thing very intrusive and something very difficult to ignore. I seem to be the only one in my family who is affected so much by this so I wondered if it could be due to some autistic traits in me.Perhaps I'm simply neurotic.

• Yes, you are right, Protector, it is virtually impossible to completely eliminate every bit of light and it's not that what small amount of light gets through is overwhelming, it simply acts as an irritation that I feel the need to take steps to solve it in the first place. I also have bought a night light which baths the room in soft light but that takes a bit of getting used to. 

• If they are causing you a nuisance, by shining into your own house, for example, the neighbours should adjust them so that they don't do that. There is no need for you to put up with that, and it isn't an autistic thing to find that annoying.

• I had to get some black-out curtains because my neighbour's light shone into my house. It's so bright! The curtains do help but it still creeps in round the edges.

• Yes, Disallowed, I have told myself that they are there for a good reason but just find it difficult to focus out of the light they generate (which can be pretty intense compared to other lights), even getting upset at the slightest sign of them when I try to block them out. Anyway, I guess I will gradually adjust to them over time, so thank you for responding and giving me some comfort. 

• Um... Greetings. It often happens that I just Log On, and then a new Thread of interest to me begins, and despite my perhaps knowing better... I respond...! (Aspergers is my excuse here, anyway...)  :-)

I myself do notice "security lights". The thing is, where I "live", we also have them (!). They upset Cats or Foxes and whatnot for a bit, yet then they get used to them. The thing is, about such things, is that they are there for a good reason: Not everyone who is sneaking about in the dark is a good person, and the lights are there as a deterrant. Just to let you know that someone may be sneaking about in the dark...

My advice is to just ignore them insofar as your knowing that person or yourself living in that area. "Blocking" them, as you say, is fine in my opninon as they may DAZZLE you. Do not be scared of them... or perhaps you may later state some reason as to why they "terrify" you in the literal sense of that word...?

Apart from all of that... maybe someone else may post something more helpful than this, sorry. Please keep yourself well, "LostMyWay" (good UserName, there.).