Does this make any sense to anyone?

Hi

I won't bore you with tales from half a centuries worth of mostly disaster. My bet is, if were here, no real explanation is required.

I gained an inkling about 3 years ago that I might be on the spectrum. Everything I read about Asperger's, I was pretty much reading about myself and my own personality. I received the "official" diagnoses about 6 months ago. Relief, I'm not mad or bad, just different.

Now here is my problem (or is it one?).  I really don't like being around people. For 30 odd years I've worked at the pointy end of IT support, at the level 'if I can't fix it, it can't be fixed'. Of course this means you are constantly in demand. Until recently I did not realise just how much stress and anxiety  this was causing me. Pretending to be like everybody else, when I knew inside that I wasn't.

I did have a serious meltdown just over a year ago. Walked away from my career, have very limited contact with the few people I know and trust, no family that means anything to me, and for this last year I think I've made a hermit look extrovert. Thing is, I feel perfectly happy and at peace for probably the fist time in my life. I do feel vaguely guilty sometime, perhaps I should make more of an effort?

Anybodies/Everybody's thoughts and opinions would be very welcome, because I'm just lost 

Parents
  • Well, Bumholio, as long as you are getting enough stimulation from your new situation I guess you have nothing to feel concerned about. I just wonder, though, that by withdrawing from your previous environment you could possibly miss at least some of the stimulation that you were deriving through working among others. People can be a right royal pain at times, yet it can also be an important way to gain an impetus to achieve stuff in life. This is something only you can decide and I just hope you have not withdrawn from society at the cost of feeling isolated and lonely.

• Well, Bumholio, as long as you are getting enough stimulation from your new situation I guess you have nothing to feel concerned about. I just wonder, though, that by withdrawing from your previous environment you could possibly miss at least some of the stimulation that you were deriving through working among others. People can be a right royal pain at times, yet it can also be an important way to gain an impetus to achieve stuff in life. This is something only you can decide and I just hope you have not withdrawn from society at the cost of feeling isolated and lonely.

Children
No Data