Do autistic women wear makeup?

I would have started a poll but I can't see how to do that.

My daughter has just asked why I don't wear any make up, 

It's uncomfortable, makes my face itch, makes me look very odd and I can't do it myself and look like anything other than a clown but my husband says it's because I'm autistic, what do you think?

Parents
  • I don't use any either, mostly due to a complete lack of interest in it, I'd say. It's not that I don't care at all what I look like, but that's more about looking like I'm looking after myself and from my (naive) point of view that doesn't require any makeup. Other people, especially some women, probably disagree, but then there's the other thing that I don't really care so much what other people think of me as long as I meet my own standards. It also feels awful to have makeup on, but I could probably tolerate it and get used to it if I found it necessary. I seem to rub my eyes a lot though and when thinking my hands will be on my cheeks quite often, so don't think anything would last very long anyway.

So yes, I'd say all my reasons come down to things that fit the diagnosis, but I could imagine a lot of other people not using makeup for exactly the same reasons.

• I think I just want to be seen as the “true” me.. if people need a painted lady for me to be palatable and can’t see beyond a lipstick choice then that is their choice...

i also touch myself on my face when thinking...so make up tends not to last long anyway... 

• I think most people touch themselves on the face while thinking...that's another problem for me with makeup. Do I have to put on more makeup throughout the day to cover up little gaps that occur? How boring, what a waste of time.

• I think most people touch themselves on the face while thinking...that's another problem for me with makeup. Do I have to put on more makeup throughout the day to cover up little gaps that occur? How boring, what a waste of time.

Children
No Data