Are there any women here?

Hi, I’m new to the forum and want to know if there are any women here online (I’m a  female professional in my early 40s). From reading some posts you are out there but kind of in the minority....I am hoping to seek diagnosis very soon and would appreciate knowing I’m not alone out here..! Thank you

Parents
  • Hi

I am a 51 year old women, diagnosed 1.5 years ago with ASD.

Never in my life did I feel "average" (or normal, haha), until I got diagnosed with ASD after having suffered for years from burn-out, leaky gut, Graves disease, depression, ...  Now, I seem to be quite a classic case :-)

After the diagnosis I kind of expected for everything to change, but that does not happen.  Even when you tell people, they hardly react.  Only two people asked me if they could read a book about it, to help them understand me better.  After telling friends or relatives about my diagnosis, they never mentioned it again.  I think they are afraid to "make it worse" by acknowledging it, but in fact, it is just the other way round.  It does make me feel more relaxed and at peace with myself on the plus side.

Good luck on your journey and don't hesitate to ask me whatever you want to know!

Leen

• Yes, It is so frustrating getting the: "oh everyone is a bit autistic". and "gosh it is quite fascinating, that everyone is getting labels nowadays" and commonly "oh you are fine the way you are, don't change". Sometimes, when people don't mention it again, I worry they think I was just attention seeking or making things up. I have stopped telling people I am autistic and just tell them about my needs: "I am sensitive to sensory overload etc... " and "I need 10 hours of sleep (good excuse for early retreat from a party")

• Yes I agree.  I told someone the other day that I was diagnosed with Adult ADHD last year and that I'm going through an Aspergers diagnosis at the moment.  Their response "it's a bit late now for that isn't it" . . . .Erm No, this doesn't stop in childhood! I am medicated for my adult ADHD and it affects me every day as does the ASD.  Honestly most of the time you are not dealing with the higher planes of intellect and insight with people so really what can you expect?  Understanding is really very limited by personal experience. I don't really genuinely care what they think one way or another though to be honest :O  I have learned that pretty much it doesn't matter what you tell people in the end they think what they want to!!

For me it's a licence to be different so that I don't have to keep excusing myself or feeling guilty about who I am.  Odd that it should take a label to bring about this self acceptance but there it is :O x

• I love the fact that you can totally connect with your daughter and that you are each able to identify with each other...this is your gift...to understand your children...and I’m sure that they love you dearly...x

keep being you...keep fighting those that need to be fought....I hope that it also helps to make you feel empowered..

keep being you girl 

• I'll be honest procrastinator there is a part of me that is totally delighted that I am not like 'them'. Yet it all mattered so much to me in my youth - very painful time I think for us, especially without understanding of what we are - very lonely.  We don't have the confidence.  As much as I quite liked the physical aspect of being young.  I wouldn't want to be young again!  I am more at peace with myself at 43 than I have ever been in my life.  I am 'ok'.  I am different but I am OK.  

Yes me too!  I am a nice brand of "crazy, weird, odd".  Well mostly unless someone starts messing about with my children ie not giving them the support that they need and then I'm afraid it can be really hard for me to not be blunt to the point of rude.  That is my biggest struggle.  All six of my children have SEN and disability and it's a constant fight for services.  Highly emotionally charged the whole thing which aggravates my 'bluntness' and 'honesty'.

Lucky for me I've got fairly high IQ so I usually get what I need in the end for them.

I'm not officially diagnosed but awaiting official diagnosis.  To be honest though, the more I come on here the less i feel that it's important that the doctor who will probably be a 'man' needs to rubber stamp me to authenticate it.  I have got this.  I know it, I feel it.  Nothing else has ever made such sense.  I won't let any doctor take that away from me.

The things is with me is that I don't immediately 'look' different.  It's only after spending some time around me that you can tell there's something 'not quite right' lol

I was very attractive when I was young and so 'men' 'boy's wanted me (I'm sorry if that sounds vain, I'm not I'm just over honest and I don't think about how that might appear to others).  I see that sentence looks like vanity or ego but it's not. It's the simple truth.  This is what I do say the truth without considering how people might interpret!  God it's a headwreck all that second guessing what people might think isn't it?  That is the truth, make of it what you will neurotypicals lol

I think that made me feel more regular but I found it difficult to be myself around them.  My husband is a bit odd and I can totally be myself with him - he doesn't bat an eyelid.  He likes my 'oddness' lol  We laugh at odd things and laugh at neurotypical behaviour and the sheer lack of logic to any of it.

I've also been diagnosed with ADHD.  I didn't plan to have six children.  I also didn't 'not plan' either lol  I have impulsive ADHD so maybe that's where it all comes from :O 

I am not a Mary Poppins kind of mother, or cake sale mom, soccer mom, coffee mom - yuk no I am none of those things.  I time going to school just right so that I don't have to talk to those people.  I am a good mum to my children because they all have special needs and so for them I am perfect because I understand them.  3 have ASD, 4 maybe 5 ADHD. 2 are blind, 1 Cerebral Palsy.  They are my 'special interest'

Me and my daughter talk openly about how as an ASD person it's hard work doing all the pretending in front of people.  We laugh, we connect over it.  I never had that.  I was just alone.  She is 11, we laugh about the behaviour of NT people and she knows she's not odd or alone.  She knows that she's not quite the same but she also knows that there are lots like 'us' it's just a case of finding them.  I think I am just the right mum for them - maybe not for regular children, I don't know.  My children are all different in some way.  I adopt an attitude of celebrating difference for them and it's rubbed off on me!

I won't allow or at least I'll do everything in power to make sure they don't grow up feeling the way that I did.

I think it's all exactly as it's meant to be.  It's unfolded exactly as it should have done.

I love this forum.  It's been life changing for me.  I know that sounds dramatic but I mean internally life changing.  The understanding, The identification - it's been like coming onto dry land! 

Ah! Finally! Here are my people!  I am not alone!

• I'll be honest procrastinator there is a part of me that is totally delighted that I am not like 'them'. Yet it all mattered so much to me in my youth - very painful time I think for us, especially without understanding of what we are - very lonely.  We don't have the confidence.  As much as I quite liked the physical aspect of being young.  I wouldn't want to be young again!  I am more at peace with myself at 43 than I have ever been in my life.  I am 'ok'.  I am different but I am OK.  

Yes me too!  I am a nice brand of "crazy, weird, odd".  Well mostly unless someone starts messing about with my children ie not giving them the support that they need and then I'm afraid it can be really hard for me to not be blunt to the point of rude.  That is my biggest struggle.  All six of my children have SEN and disability and it's a constant fight for services.  Highly emotionally charged the whole thing which aggravates my 'bluntness' and 'honesty'.

Lucky for me I've got fairly high IQ so I usually get what I need in the end for them.

I'm not officially diagnosed but awaiting official diagnosis.  To be honest though, the more I come on here the less i feel that it's important that the doctor who will probably be a 'man' needs to rubber stamp me to authenticate it.  I have got this.  I know it, I feel it.  Nothing else has ever made such sense.  I won't let any doctor take that away from me.

The things is with me is that I don't immediately 'look' different.  It's only after spending some time around me that you can tell there's something 'not quite right' lol

I was very attractive when I was young and so 'men' 'boy's wanted me (I'm sorry if that sounds vain, I'm not I'm just over honest and I don't think about how that might appear to others).  I see that sentence looks like vanity or ego but it's not. It's the simple truth.  This is what I do say the truth without considering how people might interpret!  God it's a headwreck all that second guessing what people might think isn't it?  That is the truth, make of it what you will neurotypicals lol

I think that made me feel more regular but I found it difficult to be myself around them.  My husband is a bit odd and I can totally be myself with him - he doesn't bat an eyelid.  He likes my 'oddness' lol  We laugh at odd things and laugh at neurotypical behaviour and the sheer lack of logic to any of it.

I've also been diagnosed with ADHD.  I didn't plan to have six children.  I also didn't 'not plan' either lol  I have impulsive ADHD so maybe that's where it all comes from :O 

I am not a Mary Poppins kind of mother, or cake sale mom, soccer mom, coffee mom - yuk no I am none of those things.  I time going to school just right so that I don't have to talk to those people.  I am a good mum to my children because they all have special needs and so for them I am perfect because I understand them.  3 have ASD, 4 maybe 5 ADHD. 2 are blind, 1 Cerebral Palsy.  They are my 'special interest'

Me and my daughter talk openly about how as an ASD person it's hard work doing all the pretending in front of people.  We laugh, we connect over it.  I never had that.  I was just alone.  She is 11, we laugh about the behaviour of NT people and she knows she's not odd or alone.  She knows that she's not quite the same but she also knows that there are lots like 'us' it's just a case of finding them.  I think I am just the right mum for them - maybe not for regular children, I don't know.  My children are all different in some way.  I adopt an attitude of celebrating difference for them and it's rubbed off on me!

I won't allow or at least I'll do everything in power to make sure they don't grow up feeling the way that I did.

I think it's all exactly as it's meant to be.  It's unfolded exactly as it should have done.

I love this forum.  It's been life changing for me.  I know that sounds dramatic but I mean internally life changing.  The understanding, The identification - it's been like coming onto dry land! 

Ah! Finally! Here are my people!  I am not alone!

Children
  • I love the fact that you can totally connect with your daughter and that you are each able to identify with each other...this is your gift...to understand your children...and I’m sure that they love you dearly...x

keep being you...keep fighting those that need to be fought....I hope that it also helps to make you feel empowered..

keep being you girl