Asperger's as a personality trait?

I recently came across this review of the book "American Normal", where they pose Asperger's more as a personality trait than a neurological disorder.

www.dana.org/.../

It's a bit old and there probably has been some development on the topic, but my experience makes me feel more inclined towards this perspective.

What do you think?

Parents
  • For me personally, many of my traits do not seem at all like aspects of personality - though certainly, having grown up with them, they have contributed to the development of my personality.  In addition, having spent most of my life so far forcing myself to "pass as normal", there is a big question mark over whether the personality that I project to other people is entirely my real personality, rather than an false persona adopted for ease of interaction with other people.

To take one example.  I may be perceived by other people as having an "asocial" or "shy" personality.  However, much of my reticence to speak up socially has nothing to do with lacking the desire to do so.  There are aspects of my condition which make the process of communicating more difficult regardless of how much I would prefer to be more outgoing...

• My processing of speech is very slow.  This often leaves me with little chance to express my true opinion.  I can choose between somebody else taking the next turn to speak before I get the chance, or to react quickly but say something which doesn't really capture what I really think or misunderstands information that I haven't processed yet.
    • Reading eye contact and body language are not simply a matter of having too little practice.  My senses get overwhelmed easily, and my ability to avoid distracting stimuli so that I can focus on the right thing at the right time is limited.  I do well at identifying facial expressions when it is explicitly tested, but in real life, I just don't see them in the first place because of these sensory issues and problems with attention.
    • Having to consciously attend to reading body language and expressions is a huge extra load on my brain relative to having an instinctive response for them.  As well as being very tiring, it also distracts me from hearing what is said accurately and processing its meaning.  It is hard to find the right thing to say when so much contextual information is missed.
    • Understanding social situations also calls for a lot of explicit analysis, again a further stress on an already overworked brain.  Trouble with judging the appropriateness of what I'm going so say leads to anxiety and self-censorship (often "playing it safe" by simply being agreeable whether or not I truly feel that way.)
    • Too much sensory input can simply overwhelm me to the point of shutting down.  If I feel that this is imminent, I have to remove myself from the situation, regardless of how much I would like to spend more time with the people present.

I do agree that the above, as with any other trait associated with autism, exist on a continuum, without any distinct boundary at which they become a disability or dysfunction.  However, I feel that the above are purely perceptual and cognitive traits.  Rather than being part of my personality, they are actually hurdles which impair my ability to express who I really am.  I would prefer that I could communicate with people more and feel more connected to them, and it frustrates me when I cannot, particularly when it gives other people a false sense of who I am or how I feel about them.

A similar argument could be made for the executive functioning issues which I experience, which can sometimes prevent me from initiating an action even when I desire it, can clearly see the benefits of it, and have all the necessary resources at my disposal.

In fact, this is largely how I define which of my autistic traits I consider to be disabilities - they are the parts which hinder me from acting on the needs and desires of my true self, or from negotiating reasonable compromises with the world around me.  However, by this definition, it is also perfectly reasonable that not all autistic people need identify themselves as disabled (or even as autistic at all), as their personality and their autistic traits may be in harmony with each other.

• Thank you very much for your responses, this is quite revealing and helpful. As I said in my other thread, I'm still coming to terms with what AS is and how it shows in my life. I grew up knowing nothing about this, so my experience is definitely different to all your experiences.

The thing that resonated the most with me of your experiences are the executive functioning issues. It's actually the reason I started looking into AS, because I suffer a lot of blocks. I know what I have to do, I know how to do it, I know that it's going to be good for me, and yet I cannot do it. Sometimes I can break the block, but I would still have to deal with a lot of friction. Some other times I will never do it, or do it badly and when it's already too late.

I don't think I "stim" or "pass". I do have a couple of gestures I do when I'm nervous, but only in certain contexts and they feel natural (briefly scratching my nose, for example). Not having to "pass" might be related with how I've always seen people and society. I never believed in "normality", everyone has their own quirks. Some are more pronounced than others but no one is "normal" by default. Everyone is trying their best to be "normal", whatever their definition of "normal" is.

People who know me, know that I'm sociable and that I'm happy to chat about anything, but they also know that I don't like parties or big groups of people. The only times I could say I've been "passing" is when I've been to parties that were important and I couldn't avoid. Sometimes I end up having a good time, sometimes I don't, but I don't really see it as "passing" because I know of many other people who have to make an effort to go to these things.

So, in general, although I'm sociable and caring, I feel more like a loner. I prefer being on my own to hanging out with friends, as much as I love them. They just think of me as an introvert, and they respect that.

When I asked if Asperger's could be a personality trait, was mostly because I believe personality traits are an expression of our own limitations. I believe someone with low levels of empathy is likely to become selfish, and someone who doesn't produce much adrenaline, or is more resistant to it, is likely to become a thrill-seeker and a risk-taker. In many cases this has been documented, like introversion being related to having an overly sensitive brain (e.g. you are so overly stimulated by the outside world that you turn inwards).

I'm not saying there is no biological foundation for AS, but in the same way we treat introversion as a personality trait, even though it's often because of an overly sensitive brain, why don't we consider Aperger's the same way? There are obviously times when AS needs to be treated, but someone can have a melancholic personality without being depressed, and you would not treat someone just for being melancholic.

• I hate those blocks I get them so much. Like you know what you want to do and how to do get there but you just can't seem to manage to take the final step. I agree with everything you said !

Reply Children
No Data