Public Transport...

...and "LAMe" Behaviour.

This Thread is about what it says, there. Lighthearted, funny, serious, eerie, strange... any stories, experiences, events, queries...
- "Public" - I use as a word to make this Thread easier to find in the "Related" section.
- "LAMe Behaviour" - is my own Term (so far). It stands for: "LOOK AT ME!! Behaviour", which, if you check my UserName (DC), this occurs to myself... A LOT.

Glad Tidings to all. I have Aspergers's Syndrome (AS). Using this system which is largely run and used by NTs, of course...

• The (low) amount of interest in this Thread may be for reasons I stated. Or maybe because Cars and Taxis do not count, maybe...

In anycase, I have since then found out that I am not alone after all, in being "afflicted" with LAMe-behaviour. Yet the others I have found, are two certain high-profile Celebrities, (who are **stared** at, and had their seats constantly kicked from behind, yet by children who could not know that they are famous)... and so, being famous, they are unlikely to be subscribed to this Forum...

End of Post... and of Thread, it seems!

• I think you are doing quite well at chatting here on the internet.

In real life I find chatting difficult.

• Thank you for Posting... with only two other persons thus far, you may see how I really mean that...   (   :-0  )

(As my UserName suggests, I likely have C-PTSD, and whenever I step into a public place, I go into a sort of "Street Mode", where I must ignore outside influences unless they directly mean to engage me. I deal with it via making no eye contact, and leaving the vehicle if it becomes overwhelming...) 

• I like your use of the word "thingy". "Thingy"s are very useful during the summer, when a bus/train journey lasts for more than an hour.

...Concerning the smelly person... as you know, he must have paid money, and so "dirty money" is as good as anyone else's, in current Society...

The only time a smelly person is removed, here in London, is when the stench is so overpowering that even the Driver cannot stand it. (!)

• LAMe ("Look At Me!!") Behaviour.

I included this here, because it links most of all to "Public Transport". I shall explain.
    LAMe people are those who, upon sight of you, will do something for no other reason but to *attract your attention*. It is as if the Whole World is their Stage, and you alone are their entire Audience... and they want their Money back from you. They go about their own business in life... until *you* catch their eye.
    ...Then they will follow you, mimic you, cross the road to block you, catch the same Bus/Train as you, stalk you, shout at you, throw things, spit in your path, stare, nudge you, take pictures of you, try to engage you in conversation, pickpocket you... any or all of these things.
    If you are lucky, you may escape, and shall see that they immediately cease such behaviour. Until, of course, you come back into view...

That is LAMe-Behaviour.

• Mr. Robert123, wrote:
    "I'm surprised that this thread has so few contributors."

...I also am somewhat surprised. This is a Topic I long thought of specifying, and I myself should later put all sorts of "AS weirdness" into it... yet Public Transport should socially be a "popular" matter (just like "Dreams", hmm?)... yet I suspect lack of interest here for a couple of reasons:

1 - I (DC) started it (!).
    2 - I started it... but I cannot engage in "chatting".
    3 - I did not open with an "example". The reason I did not, was because I did not want anyone to join in by mostly changing the main Topic based upon some little thing I might mention... such as Satsumas or Luggage or "Travel" (Holidays).
    4 - Many persons familiar to myself, were busy with a certain Thread which appeared yet has now been deleted (7/1/18)...
    5 - ...I added "LAMe Behaviour"... and now know that this is something as if unique to myself. I may Post more about it, next, yet now close this Post as it is becoming long, now. Thank You very much, to "Robert123" and "Moggsy" for Posting... so far.

• 8 hours with a couple of breaks and air blowing down from thingy.  That helped.

What made the situation worse was that this was an organised coach tour with visits to various attractions.  And this gentleman smelt the same throughout the whole holiday and the return journey.  Dragon face

• Wow, I am amazed you could stand it for 8 hours!

• On a serious note though, I also have AS and find public transport really hard. In fact part of my 'reasonable adjustments' at work was more home-based working because the commute was causing so much anxiety it was actually making me a bit crazy ....

I have sensory issues in pretty much all areas, so the train especially brings a multitude of problems:

- fluorescent lights

- people talking on their mobiles, loud conversations, train squeaking and rattling, bad music escaping from headphones tsk tsk tsk .... terrible auditory discrimination means I can hear it all and my brain tries to process it all too. Sometimes I want to put my hands over my ears and scream "make it stop"! Noise-cancelling headphones are essential

- people who wear foul perfumes, usually in quantities that increase with the foulness (was half a litre of perfume really required??) and those who had 20 cigarettes and a clove of garlic for breakfast (or that's what it smells like to me anyway)

- people with no concept of personal space. I am not comfortable with a complete stranger's arm touching mine for an hour long journey

I could go on .... the worst thing is, there isn't really a solution, apart from avoid it and then I couldn't earn a living. It got so bad before though that it caused hyper-vigilance, whcih is apparently normally something that people with PTSD get!

• Well,.   I still love public transport.  Even after the coach holiday where the man two seats in front of me was obviously not very hygienic.  He smelt like he hadn't changed his trousers or underpants for weeks or bathed.  And nobody said a word to him about it.  English society is so polite and reserved.  8 hours on a coach with him was the limit.

• My most astounding experiences as follows:

1) the girl who got on the tube wearing flip-flops, took a pair of nail clippers out of her bag and started clipping her toe-nails in the train ...all the people in the carriage started shouting at her but she really couldn't see what the problem was!

2) the large and very sweaty gentleman who got onto the train in high summer, and sat down opposite me. He then took out a packet of tissues and proceeded to give himself something like a sponge bath ..... down the front of his shirt and everything. Then in case that wasn't disgusting enough, he grabbed all of the tissues and threw them in a sweaty ball on the seat opposite him. I really wanted to move, but by then there were no seats left, so I would have had to stand all the way. Yuk

and my sister once had a drunk man throw up on her shoes.

Don't you love public transport??

• I'm surprised that this thread has so few contributors.

Back to my experiences of public transport.

On one intercity journey, on the upper deck of a bus there were only a few passengers and I felt uncomfortable when as we were nearing the end of the journey, one person moved from his seat and sat immediately behind me.

After sitting behind me for few minutes breathing heavily he asked me if I could change a couple of  twenties for tenners.

The twenties were photocopies of course.

• My brain was fried with Borden.

...I assume you mean Bordem or Boredom? When persons speak of things I do not like - e.g. excessive use of the F-word, I have to change seats, or leave the Train/Bus altogether.

Nail Polish to me, is also like when someone decides to eat an Orange/Satsuma, in that, no matter where I am, I can always smell it. Like Perfume, or Cannabis or Smoking Tobacco... or their not having taken a bath...!

• Ah, Thank you so much, to Mr.Robert123 alone thus far. This is exactly why I began this Thread... "stress relief", maybe, for curiosities, events, little "rants" and things...
    I can write very much about Buses and angry passengers, according to my DC UserName...

Whenever I board a Bus, and "pause", most drivers think that it is a very dutiful thing to do, to yell at me, or to play the announcements: "No standing on the upper deck or staircase" and/or "Please move down inside the bus"... and they will do so at least five times for as long as I am sight of them. Yet it has occurred to me so often, I notice a certain bias: Whenever anyone *else* boards and does exactly the same as myself... there is next to no single word of complaint. Leave your luggage in the aisle, sit on the stairs, run around... everyone else can do that except me...!

• Incident B.  On a train.

I usually enjoy train travel.  Grinning

On a Sunday evening I was sitting alone at a table seat. When I was joined by three trainspotters. Who then spent the whole hour discussing their weekend trainspotting with each other, talking 'in code' about their experiences at Derby, Crewe stations etc.  My brain was fried with Borden.Nauseated face

Incident C.  Again on a train.

On a Friday evening I was once again sitting alone at a table seat when I was joined by three young ladies who were on a night out.  They took out their bottles of nail paint or liquor ??!?? And started doing their nails.  The smell in the confined space of the train was awful and my eyes were in pain and watering.

• I have mentioned before that I came from an insane family background and problems with public transport were one of the symptoms.

I have had very little problems with using public transport.

But both my parents were always having problems and avoiding it.

Incident A.   The Last time I accompanied my mother on a bus. ( This was before pensioners were given free bus travel).

She got on first, I bought both tickets.  She was standing, blocking the gangway and not sitting down.  People behind me were getting annoyed because the whole queue was stuck.

I asked her why she wasn't sitting down. She said she couldn't decide where.  There were plenty of empty seats and several double empty seats. But she just stood there for about two minutes refusing to move or sit down because she just couldn't decide on a seat.  I was telling her to sit down anywhere, just sit!!!!!!  All the time people behind us were getting more and more angry.

After that I always called a taxi.