Not coming across like an unfeeling so-and-so on a forum

Does anyone here have issues with their approach to written communication and a 'matter of fact' view of the world causing people to think they don't have feelings for other people?

Parents
  • Yes - I have been described as cold, blunt and lacking in empathy for the feelings of others, when really I have only highlighted the obvious and facts of a situation.  This has resulted in me losing friends in the past through either completely misreading a situation or responding in a manner which others have found to be deeply insulting.  To this day, I still don't know why I have fallen out with some individuals as a result of miscommunication.  It would be so much easier if people would just be honest and tell me what I have apparently done wrong, so I can at least learn from it if nothing else!

• Yes - I have been described as cold, blunt and lacking in empathy for the feelings of others, when really I have only highlighted the obvious and facts of a situation.  This has resulted in me losing friends in the past through either completely misreading a situation or responding in a manner which others have found to be deeply insulting.  To this day, I still don't know why I have fallen out with some individuals as a result of miscommunication.  It would be so much easier if people would just be honest and tell me what I have apparently done wrong, so I can at least learn from it if nothing else!

Children