ASD and schizotypal -overlap and differences ?

At my last meeting with the Nurse practitioner at my old address she mentioned autism in relation to things I told her and gave me a sheet about a local autism charity. However she also said that things might be explained by schizotypal.

I am wondering what people think about the overlap and differences between ASD and schizotypal. How many have gone in for an ASD assessment to be told they are schizotypal? How many are seen as being both ASD and schizotypal ?

Parents
  • My personal experience is that I was diagnosed with ASD only. This was after a very thorough assessment carried out by a number of professionals including a psychiatrist. This leads me to believe that schizotypal was never a possibility. Other possibilities were mentioned and explored like OCD but not schizotypal. The conclusion I draw from this is that not all people with ASD meet the criteria for schizotypal. Having read the criteria I would agree that I do not meet the criteria for schizotypal but that I definitely meet the criteria for ASD.

• My personal experience is that I was diagnosed with ASD only. This was after a very thorough assessment carried out by a number of professionals including a psychiatrist. This leads me to believe that schizotypal was never a possibility. Other possibilities were mentioned and explored like OCD but not schizotypal. The conclusion I draw from this is that not all people with ASD meet the criteria for schizotypal. Having read the criteria I would agree that I do not meet the criteria for schizotypal but that I definitely meet the criteria for ASD.

Children
No Data