Left a company after 23 years I love and isn't bad. How can I help others??

Hi

This week I left what I believe to be a great company as I've worked for them for seventeen years full time and twenty-three years part-time. I left 'mutually' but have left good staff behind with an antagonist working amongst them and other issues which aren't the company but people related.

I'm having an extremely bad day emotionally and haven't left my duvet. Whilst looking at my four walls of my bedroom I'm thinking of those I have left behind but also what I can do to help others. My hands are tied due to me leaving 'mutually' but there must be loopholes so I can help mainly other people. I believe in helping others and have real difficulty in looking after myself and in a way helping others does help me if that makes sense. 

Parents
  • Hi addlestones, I didn't comment on any of this so far, it was too close to the heart, but I think you did completely the right thing. They had decided to kick you out and they would have done so, no matter what. It would only have become more nasty if you had stayed and if nobody has helped you so far then nobody would be doing it in future either. It may not look like a good thing now, it could potentially cause real financial problems, but god knows where you would end up if you had stayed. 

Anyway, my advice regarding helping colleagues is: Don't even try. I know you don't want to hear that, it goes totally against everything you believe in to let them continue the way they have treated you and others, you find fairness incredibly important, and honesty. Maybe I'm playing devil's advocate there, but people don't want to know the truth if it's uncomfortable, they probably want others to be treated fairly but if you are treated badly, well, then there must be a reason for it, so it is fair after all. Your former colleagues are not going to appreciate your help until they are in the same desperate situation, and then it's too late. HR don't want to hear that someone at higher level isn't doing their job properly, because it is a lot easier to get rid of that person's "problems" (that is people like you) instead of even just suggesting to that person that something will have to change. Trying to point out things that aren't working well and making suggestions how to improve them is not what you are supposed to do, it is seen as complaining. You should smile and nod and then gossip and rant a lot to people who can do nothing about it, and watch others fail and tell them how really sorry you are and then forget them the moment they leave...

Sorry, I don't want to hurt you (it's hurting myself just as much) but somehow we have to learn from the things that have happened. We are way too slow learning anyway, others may have tried once to suggest a change, then they figured out it wasn't welcome, so they stopped, while we keep insisting in our (objectively seen good) ideals... If you try to help them all you will achieve is keeping your wound widely open. There will be enough triggers waiting for you that rip it open again and again anyway.

Sending you a big hug, perhaps it makes us both feel a little better.

• Hi addlestones, I didn't comment on any of this so far, it was too close to the heart, but I think you did completely the right thing. They had decided to kick you out and they would have done so, no matter what. It would only have become more nasty if you had stayed and if nobody has helped you so far then nobody would be doing it in future either. It may not look like a good thing now, it could potentially cause real financial problems, but god knows where you would end up if you had stayed. 

Anyway, my advice regarding helping colleagues is: Don't even try. I know you don't want to hear that, it goes totally against everything you believe in to let them continue the way they have treated you and others, you find fairness incredibly important, and honesty. Maybe I'm playing devil's advocate there, but people don't want to know the truth if it's uncomfortable, they probably want others to be treated fairly but if you are treated badly, well, then there must be a reason for it, so it is fair after all. Your former colleagues are not going to appreciate your help until they are in the same desperate situation, and then it's too late. HR don't want to hear that someone at higher level isn't doing their job properly, because it is a lot easier to get rid of that person's "problems" (that is people like you) instead of even just suggesting to that person that something will have to change. Trying to point out things that aren't working well and making suggestions how to improve them is not what you are supposed to do, it is seen as complaining. You should smile and nod and then gossip and rant a lot to people who can do nothing about it, and watch others fail and tell them how really sorry you are and then forget them the moment they leave...

Sorry, I don't want to hurt you (it's hurting myself just as much) but somehow we have to learn from the things that have happened. We are way too slow learning anyway, others may have tried once to suggest a change, then they figured out it wasn't welcome, so they stopped, while we keep insisting in our (objectively seen good) ideals... If you try to help them all you will achieve is keeping your wound widely open. There will be enough triggers waiting for you that rip it open again and again anyway.

Sending you a big hug, perhaps it makes us both feel a little better.

Children
No Data