Problems Using Forum

I have TWICE tried to post a reply in the thread about the recent documentary, dealing with children excluded fro school.

I hit the reply button after finishing typing, but the forum skin and controls are sometimes very slow and inadequate, and the connection between the reply button and making the post was not made. The reply simply spun and spun, and failed to load.

It's hard work and commitment for nothing.

Can someone look into this technical deficiency, and see if a resolution or improvement is possible. Thanks. The emoticons are not loading either lol

• Thanks to WebPM and all the other guys working to make the forum better Slight smile

• Also, if you hold down CTRL and turn the mouse wheel (if your mouse has one) forwards and backwards, it does the same thing.

• Bit hit and miss! When I was busy posting earlier even when I pressed cut or copy it didn't paste but Sod's law it just did... Slight smile

• Usually you hold down your finger in roughly the right area, until some selection tools appear.

• I'm finding my way around on most things and have just spotted this reply, will have to mention @Lonewarrior again as you've made it work, it still won't work for me and I waited ages after typing each letter, he just doesn't come up??  But and Former Member do work @Misfit61 evidently doesn't either.

I find the site painfully slow to load, I have a fairly new powerful PC that I use most of the time and a rubbish internet speed of about 3.5 mb but this site is noticeably slower than most others I interact with.  I think I find it faster on my Android phone over 4g, but too small, useable but easier on the PC version.

• Not sure on that, Misfit.  You'd need to check.  There should be something you can Google to tell you.

• Can you use ctl c and v directly from here on smartphone or is that a laptop Pc thing? Cos when I highlight something the keyboard disappears Flushed

• I wish!  There are loads of keyboard shortcuts.  If you know them all, you hardly ever need to use the mouse.  I touch-type, so in Word I use the shortcuts all the time.  CTRL+I for italics, CTRL+B for bold, CTRL+U for underline, CTRL+E for centre, CTRL+X for cut.  You'll find a full list in the Word Help menu.

• Excellent tips, thank you both Slight smile

• You just, too Damn clever Mr Tom, lmbbao.

• That's right.  Once you save it, it just stays in the computer's memory (the 'Clipboard') until you paste it.  You can paste it as often as you like, too.  It stays in the memory until you save something else, which replaces it, or you switch off.

Another thing I'll do it write it in Word first, then copy from there to here.

• Did you know if you do   CTRL and the + it will magnify what is on the screen. And then CTRL and - makes it smaller. Top tip.

• Spotty T' You have to do, CTRL + V  it will paste whatever you copied last with the CTRL + C.     Go For It.

• Humph! I have just been having trouble.. I tried both cutting and copying and it didn't save either. I think the writing notes in another place like pages or word or whatever and copying from there worked best for me.. also on iPhone I don't seem to get the extra bits mentioned 

• That seems like a stroke of genius to me, sometimes I think I'm computer illiterate, I take it that CTRL A will select all text and CTRL C will copy it? But where does it go, how do you find it again if you need to?  I see we have some handy hints to the right now and I understand using @ to mention some one but it never works with Lonewarrior's name...

• They have only recently revamped the system, haven't they? The site was down for an update a few weeks ago. copy before you send seems like a bloody good habit to get into, thanks Tom.

• I tend to save what I've typed before hitting reply (CTRL A, then CTRL C) - just in case.  I spent a while typing a response the other day - then I hit 'Reply' and it simply vanished.  Never appeared.  Had to do it all again.  Saving and pasting saves the grief.  Sometimes, it all really very slow in responding - probably during peak periods of use.

Sometimes, too, you can insert a 'Slight Smile', and the flag comes up - but the emoticon isn't inserted.  Then, when you post the reply, the flag stays until I refresh the page.  Just a tiny glitch.

• Most of what you have said is way beyond me. But I just wanted to say that a few basic "How too's" would have helped a lot when joining a forum for the very first time. It's a bit scary and rather bewildering having a go the first time without having a clue as to what you have to do or how it works.  I think there were a few of us were new at posting at the same time and we persevered but it would have made things easier to have a few bullet points on the home page. 

• Not at all. We are trying to take the approach of providing help on the things that actually cause problems to forum users, rather than writing pages of "how to" documentation that are too long to read. I've added some hints and tips to the thread pages, on quoting and "mentioning" (you need to wait a little when "mentioning" for the directory of users to be loaded and searched). If you haven't seen a mention, here's one of .

I've also put some tips about friends and private messages on each main forum page.

You're right about my message not being placed where I said. The page width puts a limit on indentation, and I exceeded it; any more indentation and my message would be only a few words wideSmiley Therefore, although my message is recorded as a reply to yours, it's displayed in a list. Bit of a compromise. Sorry for confusing you by not mentioning that.

We're taking the performance issue in 's original message in this thread seriously, and talking to our suppliers. However, we want to careful with the charity's resources, so we'll need to be sure that we understand the causes, whether issues are consistent or occasional, and whether everyone is finding it slow, or whether it's specific to those people who have commented. For that reason, please feel free to comment good or bad, but do mention those points, and also whether you're using a desktop or mobile, what type of connection you have an whether it's normally fast, and anything else that seems relevant.

• Except your reply isn't underneath mine? It is under misfit61 post? Thank you for your response I just need to  find out how to select the text first. Sorry for not being good with computers, I suspect it must be quite frustrating for you, as an ex digger driver it drives me mad watching a so called ticketed operator doing it all wrong. It is sooo very easy after all!