A quick question..

Hi,

So the other day I was speaking with my mum about my Aspergers' and she said to me that she thinks that when I was about 1 or 2 I had the MMR and said that after I had it I started behaving differently. Apparently I presented symptoms of ADHD, which is strange because I have Aspergers' now! But, yeah she said she thinks the jab caused AS and not just mine loads of people and told me the only reason the Government denied it is because they would have to pay out large sums of compensation.

What do people think about this?

• Heritability of ASD was recently discussed here

community.autism.org.uk/.../autismgenes-vs-environment

The statistics are quite complicated (i.e. pretty much beyond my full understanding!) but worth a read if you are curious.

• No. I dont think this is the proper place to discuss the mechanics of genetic trait transmition as its quite complicated but trait transmition chance is 100% only when all four of the parental genes are for the trait...and that assumes a trait is governed by only one gene pair.

Issues of gene dominance only further complicate the matter.

• Hey Laddo, See that is what I have been told by my doctor when I was diagnosed, its genetic.

But does that mean that if you have it that your child will have it 100%?

Totally agree with you both Outraged and Susie.

• With you there outraged.

I was born autistic and I will die autistic.

I did not receive the MMR thing, neither did any of my ancestors. 

Neither did any of my blood relations who are also autistic.

I too am different but not damaged.

I am not diseased or injured.

Yet still I am disabled and classed as such.

Disabled only by society.Sealed

• Further I think the tendancy to claim that vacinations cause Autism has put the equality case back decades by the implication that Autism is a desease/injury.

I am different; I am NOT damaged!

• another thing that happens at the same age is that children are weaned and the diet changes dramatically. Unfortunately for the MMR theory is the fact that lots of evidence was fabricated which is why Dr Wakefield was struck off the register.

• I think part of the attraction of blaming MMR is that parents don't want to feel like it's their fault their child is autistic, which they often feel it would be if it was genetic. Silly really, you don't choose your genes; you do choose to vaccinate your child. But if they convince themselves it was because of the MMR, they can also tell themselves that they were pressured to vaccinate their child. And when you want to believe something that badly, it becomes very easy to do. I personally think the reason the symptoms tend to coincide with the jab is due to the stress of said jab, which kick-starts the symptoms that would have appeared later on.

• Laddo said:

It is widely accepted by the medical community that MMR does not cause autism or Aspergers. People with Aspergers traits have been around long before the MMR vaccine was even thought of, including Beethoven and Isaac Newton. Autism is widely accepted to be genetic

The confusion arises because AS charicteristics start to present at about the same time as the the MMR is administered...but this is not evidence of causality

• It is widely accepted by the medical community that MMR does not cause autism or Aspergers. People with Aspergers traits have been around long before the MMR vaccine was even thought of, including Beethoven and Isaac Newton. Autism is widely accepted to be genetic