Struggling after being told I am not Autistic

Hi, I’m going to try and keep this short.

I recently had an assessment with Psychiatry UK where I was basically told I don’t struggle enough to have a diagnosis even though I do have autistic traits.

I have felt different my whole life and just cannot accept this as an answer. I am a woman in my early 20’s and I am aware of the fact that often women go undiagnosed because of outdated concepts as well as masking.

Has anyone else been in my situation before? And if so, how did you eventually get your diagnosis?

Thank you in advance, I’m feeling lost.

Parents
  • Hi there,

I had a similar experience of being told I wouldn't qualify as Autistic because I "communicate" too well but have many Autistic traits.That figures having studied communication....  I was diagnosed with Sensory Processing Disorder which does fit my profile pretty well and I do personally identify with being a HSP which may be another recent term under the Autism umbrella - who knows?  I was told that there weren't adult support services in my area for SPD or Autism so I'd have to research myself on how to cope and support myself.   I don't think an Autism diagnosis would have helped me because of the lack of support in my area and because the psychiatrist who undertook the assessment was confident of my communication style.  

I was always told I was weird at school but never understood why people were saying that. I had a close knit group of friends who accepted me but I often felt alone and that no one liked me despite this.  I still struggle with this feeling that people are "pretending" to like me and am hugely rejection sensitive which I've read is a common trait among Autistics.  My daughter is Autistic and I often wonder if I am too as we get on so so well.

It's so tough being told you are not Autistic enough but not feeling part of the "norm" if there's such a thing!  I'm sure you'll find a way forward when you process what's happened whether that involves a diagnosis or not.

Sending hugs. 

• Hi there,

I had a similar experience of being told I wouldn't qualify as Autistic because I "communicate" too well but have many Autistic traits.That figures having studied communication....  I was diagnosed with Sensory Processing Disorder which does fit my profile pretty well and I do personally identify with being a HSP which may be another recent term under the Autism umbrella - who knows?  I was told that there weren't adult support services in my area for SPD or Autism so I'd have to research myself on how to cope and support myself.   I don't think an Autism diagnosis would have helped me because of the lack of support in my area and because the psychiatrist who undertook the assessment was confident of my communication style.  

I was always told I was weird at school but never understood why people were saying that. I had a close knit group of friends who accepted me but I often felt alone and that no one liked me despite this.  I still struggle with this feeling that people are "pretending" to like me and am hugely rejection sensitive which I've read is a common trait among Autistics.  My daughter is Autistic and I often wonder if I am too as we get on so so well.

It's so tough being told you are not Autistic enough but not feeling part of the "norm" if there's such a thing!  I'm sure you'll find a way forward when you process what's happened whether that involves a diagnosis or not.

Sending hugs. 

Children
  • Thank you.

I have spoken to my gp who recommended counselling for dealing with and accepting who I am. I’m hoping that it’ll help me to process it all as well as finding ways to help me with things I struggle with.