Masking

Hi, my name is Bree.

I'm new here and I would love to ask you about your experiences with masking as an autistic person, especially women and girls.

I mask pretty much whenever I am with any people. This is something I've been noticing more and more ever since I got diagnosed

Parents
  • I'm the same, when I'm around people I mask. When I'm masking I can fit in and be outside and do "normal" things. But it's an exhausting experience and I'll need to rest afterwards, sometimes for day's depending how long I masked. Too much masking and I'll get burnout. I've had it once and never want it again, it felt like a flu that lasted for months. 

I always try to be myself but the world isn't too accepting so I pretty much mask all the time when I'm with people. At home I can be myself. 

• I'm the same, when I'm around people I mask. When I'm masking I can fit in and be outside and do "normal" things. But it's an exhausting experience and I'll need to rest afterwards, sometimes for day's depending how long I masked. Too much masking and I'll get burnout. I've had it once and never want it again, it felt like a flu that lasted for months. 

I always try to be myself but the world isn't too accepting so I pretty much mask all the time when I'm with people. At home I can be myself. 

Children
No Data