Masking

Hi, my name is Bree.

I'm new here and I would love to ask you about your experiences with masking as an autistic person, especially women and girls.

I mask pretty much whenever I am with any people. This is something I've been noticing more and more ever since I got diagnosed

Parents
  • I'm 49 and autism wasn't a word that featured in my vocabulary until I was in my early-to-mid forties.

It is only as a result of being here and reading about the experiences of other members that I have come to realise that I've spent much of my life masking, without really being aware of it.

When I am in the presence of people I don't know, or don't feel comfortable with, I am now more aware of my tendency to mask. With people I do know and get along well with, I seldom feel the need to mask in order to fit in.

• I'm 49 and autism wasn't a word that featured in my vocabulary until I was in my early-to-mid forties.

It is only as a result of being here and reading about the experiences of other members that I have come to realise that I've spent much of my life masking, without really being aware of it.

When I am in the presence of people I don't know, or don't feel comfortable with, I am now more aware of my tendency to mask. With people I do know and get along well with, I seldom feel the need to mask in order to fit in.

Children
No Data