Diagnosed with personality disorder before autism.

I am a women in my 50's.  A number of years ago I was diagnosed with a personality disorder.  After years of depression and meltdowns I finally got an assessment for autism.  I have had  private and nhs assessments which both conclude I am autistic.  Following an appointment today with mental health services it appears that the only route they want to go down is regarding my personality disorder which I feel was a misdiagnosis.  How do I get them to accept that this was a misdiagnosis and start to help me with my autistic difficulties>

Parents

Reading what you wrote made me feel so angry and sad for you but relieved too because perhaps now as you research Autism more, you may find solace and understanding that wasn't evident before?

I'm not a medical professional myself but can see it'd be incredibly difficult to accurately diagnose someone with all the overlaps in various disorders and the minimal appointments given to work out a clients challenges.

I think the best people to really know a person is themselves and their family/partner/friends because of the length of time and depth of relationship they have with the person.

It seems from your post that you feel Autism is more accurate a fit for you and therefore you'd feel best going forward with that diagnosis as opposed to the previous one.  I'm not sure whether diagnoses stay for life or can be adjusted but I wish you well in your effort to feel what's more true to you.

Reading what you wrote made me feel so angry and sad for you but relieved too because perhaps now as you research Autism more, you may find solace and understanding that wasn't evident before?

I'm not a medical professional myself but can see it'd be incredibly difficult to accurately diagnose someone with all the overlaps in various disorders and the minimal appointments given to work out a clients challenges.

I think the best people to really know a person is themselves and their family/partner/friends because of the length of time and depth of relationship they have with the person.

It seems from your post that you feel Autism is more accurate a fit for you and therefore you'd feel best going forward with that diagnosis as opposed to the previous one.  I'm not sure whether diagnoses stay for life or can be adjusted but I wish you well in your effort to feel what's more true to you.

Children
No Data