Struggling mid-assessment

Hi everyone. I'm new here, first post. So firstly, hello!

I'm 37 years old and I finally decided to seek assessment for both Autism and ADHD, as quite frankly I'm exhausted and have reached a point in life where I'm wanting some answers/certainty about why I'm different to others around me. That and I'm tired of pretending/masking to fit in all the time. 

My GP agreed to refer me for both and I've completed the pre-assessment screening tools and forms. My mum has done all the ones for childhood information gathering too.

I have a date for the ADHD assessment (31st July) and I'm still waiting for the Autism assessment appointment. 

At this point now, where I'm waiting for the final appointments, I'm really struggling. The pre-assessment forms really made me focus in on my traits which lead to 4 weeks of hyperfocus on ADHD and ASD which has been exhausting and probably quite unhealthy? But also, it made me revisit childhood trauma and various issues which I'd normally prefer not to think about.

I feel like I've bared my soul to an unknown stranger and now I'm left here feeling vulnerable and just waiting. The not knowing if I'll be diagnosed either way is driving me to despair. 

Anyone else in this position/been there? Any advice to help me while I wait? 

Parents
  • Hi, 

This is my first time posting anything here. I am 39 and got diagnosed with Autism about a month ago. It took me a really long time to complete the forms as doing so brought back lots of painful memories so I found I could only do a couple of questions at a time. Once completing the forms I also found the wait for the assessment appointment difficult. I found keeping busy and focusing on other things helpful. I also found reflecting on the positive of the fact I had finally plucked up the courage to speak to my GP and get this far with the process a help. 

• I just want to say, Welcome and hope to see you on other threads. I am also recently diagnosed and have got a lot of comfort from this board.

Reply Children