Struggling mid-assessment

Hi everyone. I'm new here, first post. So firstly, hello!

I'm 37 years old and I finally decided to seek assessment for both Autism and ADHD, as quite frankly I'm exhausted and have reached a point in life where I'm wanting some answers/certainty about why I'm different to others around me. That and I'm tired of pretending/masking to fit in all the time. 

My GP agreed to refer me for both and I've completed the pre-assessment screening tools and forms. My mum has done all the ones for childhood information gathering too.

I have a date for the ADHD assessment (31st July) and I'm still waiting for the Autism assessment appointment. 

At this point now, where I'm waiting for the final appointments, I'm really struggling. The pre-assessment forms really made me focus in on my traits which lead to 4 weeks of hyperfocus on ADHD and ASD which has been exhausting and probably quite unhealthy? But also, it made me revisit childhood trauma and various issues which I'd normally prefer not to think about.

I feel like I've bared my soul to an unknown stranger and now I'm left here feeling vulnerable and just waiting. The not knowing if I'll be diagnosed either way is driving me to despair. 

Anyone else in this position/been there? Any advice to help me while I wait? 

Parents
  • I think it’s far from unusual for the whole process to trigger a huge range of emotions - and some of them will be negative. This was my experience (I was diagnosed in my fifties when both my children had already been diagnosed). It isn’t an easy process to go through but we found that it was worth it in the end. If you can stick with it I’d recommend that you persevere - and try to ‘ride the waves’ of the various emotional responses you go through. If you’ve got support from family or friends then that will help. Good luck!

• Hi. Yeah I've certainly been riding the waves. I'm lucky (for want of a better phrase) that my brother has been through his assessments already and he's been such a lifeline. I've since discovered through my own disclosure, that several colleagues are ND and so I've suddenly got a good support network around it all. 

I received a diagnosis of ADHD last week and I'm still processing that and riding those waves but I do feel a sense of relief. It explains a lot and validates my thoughts. 

ASD assessment next week so will see what comes of that.

You're right about it being a difficult process but I think like you say, it will be worth it

• Hi. Yeah I've certainly been riding the waves. I'm lucky (for want of a better phrase) that my brother has been through his assessments already and he's been such a lifeline. I've since discovered through my own disclosure, that several colleagues are ND and so I've suddenly got a good support network around it all. 

I received a diagnosis of ADHD last week and I'm still processing that and riding those waves but I do feel a sense of relief. It explains a lot and validates my thoughts. 

ASD assessment next week so will see what comes of that.

You're right about it being a difficult process but I think like you say, it will be worth it

Children
No Data