Upcoming assessment

Hi all! I'm 24 and currently self-identify as autistic. I was diagnosed with ADHD last year and have been on the autism assessment waitlist for years, but have finally been invited to my assessment next month, in May.

I'm feeling really worried about my assessment as I've heard horror stories about autistic women being unable to access a diagnosis due to the outdated and male-focused criteria - my assessor is a man, and I have had many experiences of my health concerns not being taken seriously by male doctors in the past, so I'm feeling really apprehensive that I will be dismissed, even though I identify with all parts of the autistic experience (just often not in the very boy-specific way they phrase the questions)!

Does anyone have any advice on what to expect from the assessment and how to advocate for the female autistic experience if needed? For reference, I am going through Psychiatry UK for an online assessment, through the Right to Choose scheme referred by my GP.

Thanks,

Becky

• i am waiting for an asperger’s diagnosis and i have the same worry as you, but i know it won’t happen

• Hi Becky,

Firstly, great news that you are finally off the waiting list and have an assessment date!

I had my assessment 3 years ago and didn't find it too male-centred. I think requesting for your assessor to be female might be a good step as it sounds like you are more likely to feel anxious around a male and hence mask more which could prevent you from getting a diagnosis.

Make a list of your most 'obvious' autistic traits and make sure you bring them up in your assessment. If you have any more questions, just let us know

Alisha xx

• I'm feeling really worried about my assessment as I've heard horror stories about autistic women being unable to access a diagnosis due to the outdated and male-focused criteria

This may have been more common a decade or two ago but I think the medical community have come a long way since then.

If you have an issue with it then speak to the assessment people and ask for a female to assess you. Explain you have anxiety issues over dealing with men over previous trauma (this should stop them trying to tell you to just deal with it).

From the experiences relayed by other females here there are mostly positive experiences with the professionals involved. There have been a minority of issues but I think that is reflective of the small number of inadequate assessors out there - there is always a small chance you get the bad apple.

In terms of prep - read up on what autistic traits are and which you exhibit. Make notes around these, focussing on the ones that cause you most issue.

Most autists will "mask" to hide their real opinions and give the responses they think are wanted. Don't do this. Be as authentic to how you feel and think as possible as anything else is effectively lying to them and will work against a realistic outcome.

They are not there to judge you - just observe and classify if you have enough traits of a high enough severity for it to lable you as autistic.

Remember that the assessment making someone autistic is only a "score" - you can be neurodivergent and score just under the threshold but this does not mean you are not like us. The diagnosis of autism is largely used to give you access to the disabled status in case you need further help.

Once you get a diagnosis there are no NHS resources available to help you in most cases. This site is probably the best single resource I have seen in the world (and I've looked hard) where you can get info, find your community and ask the most personal of questions to get helpful suggestions.

Just go in with your notes prepared and be your authentic self and whatever the outcome, you will be ready for whatever comes next.