Benefits for autism

Hello 

my son has recently been diagnosed with autism. I would like to know what benefits I can apply for him please.

Parents
  • Congratulations on your son's diagnosis!  My daughter (finally diagnosed as autistic aged 21) is in receipt of PIP, both for the daily living component and the mobility one.  

I would definitely advise two things:
    1) join* 'Benefits & Work', an onine organisation that is very well versed in DWP-speak, and produces fantastic guides advising on how to approach putting in a claim for various benefits (including PIP) and how best to explain/describe your difficulties and challenges (*some of the info on their website is accessible to all, some of it is only available to members.  If nothing else, I'd go onto the site and read the very many comments of gratitude from its members - it'll really give you an idea of how invaluable membership is. 

For what it's worth, I re-subscribe every year to 'Benefits & Work', whether I think I need to use the site's advice or not, it has proved that valuable to me.

2) contact your local CAB.  You should be able to book in a telephone conversation with one of its benefit advisors.  The one I spoke to regarding the PIP claim I was going to make for my daughter went through each question on the form very thoroughly, asking me all sorts of questions that didn't seem initially pertinent*, and then helping you make a statement in response to each.  (*NB you get so used to your own child's struggles and difficulties that they become 'normal' to you - and we can often forget just how impairing they can be.)

I would allow a good hour for the phone call (I think mine took over 90 minutes!) - and the CAB advisor will then email through the 'answers' you've come up with together to you, so you can then re-read them, and rewrite any as you see fit before you complete the PIP application.  (Note: you have a limited time in which to return your PIP form after you've received it, so I'd advise you contact PIP first and get a telephone appointment booked in with them first!)

Very best of luck :)

• Congratulations on your son's diagnosis!  My daughter (finally diagnosed as autistic aged 21) is in receipt of PIP, both for the daily living component and the mobility one.  

I would definitely advise two things:
    1) join* 'Benefits & Work', an onine organisation that is very well versed in DWP-speak, and produces fantastic guides advising on how to approach putting in a claim for various benefits (including PIP) and how best to explain/describe your difficulties and challenges (*some of the info on their website is accessible to all, some of it is only available to members.  If nothing else, I'd go onto the site and read the very many comments of gratitude from its members - it'll really give you an idea of how invaluable membership is. 

For what it's worth, I re-subscribe every year to 'Benefits & Work', whether I think I need to use the site's advice or not, it has proved that valuable to me.

2) contact your local CAB.  You should be able to book in a telephone conversation with one of its benefit advisors.  The one I spoke to regarding the PIP claim I was going to make for my daughter went through each question on the form very thoroughly, asking me all sorts of questions that didn't seem initially pertinent*, and then helping you make a statement in response to each.  (*NB you get so used to your own child's struggles and difficulties that they become 'normal' to you - and we can often forget just how impairing they can be.)

I would allow a good hour for the phone call (I think mine took over 90 minutes!) - and the CAB advisor will then email through the 'answers' you've come up with together to you, so you can then re-read them, and rewrite any as you see fit before you complete the PIP application.  (Note: you have a limited time in which to return your PIP form after you've received it, so I'd advise you contact PIP first and get a telephone appointment booked in with them first!)

Very best of luck :)

Children
No Data