Sensory Issues being an autistic female who recently unmasked

I wanted to start this discussion because I, (20 year old female) am really beginning to feel to strain and frustration that comes with sensory issues on a day to day bases. I was late diagnosed with autism and up until last year, was heavily masking for the majority of my life in order to fit in. I found when I was masking, I was able to grit my teeth and tolerate a lot more than I can now. Since unmasking I have found my autistic traits have become much more noticeable, particularly my sensory issues. It's a huge battle, as my brain is constantly working overtime, trying to push through the day despite finding the smallest of tasks a challenge when I can just feel everything

For example, the way my makeup feels on my skin after I've done it or the way my hands feel greasy after using moisturiser, or the way my glasses feel on my face. Which is frustrating as these are all things I want/need to do to get ready or look presentable. On bad days, these little things can just build up until I'm unable to really function or leave the house. I find myself getting quite emotional as I type this as I don't want this to rule my life - I know it's part of who I am, it's just hard to accept or tell people when I didn't used to be like this (due to heavily masking for years). It's draining because I'm thinking and feeling so much more than a neurotypical person would be on a daily bases. I know I shouldn't compare but I often feel guilty and sometimes even lazy when I have unproductive days due to my sensory issues slowing me down. 

If anybody has any advice on how to manage sensory issues or ways I can help myself to deal with it in the moment that would be really great, thank you. 

Parents
  • Hi there I’m a 23 year old man who’s also been late diagnosed and I get what you mean about masking. I masked my whole life also and tried to fit in. It’s no good pretending to be someone else though it is draining. I get the sensory stuff to like sensitivity to audio and stuff like that. I find melatonin is good for that kind of thing. It improves my sleep and the next day I feel more able to face the day there is a lot of research for melatonin having a lot of benefits. 

• Someone else suggested melatonin to me recently, do you get it from a doctor on prescription or can you buy it over the counter? Do you find it has any side effects?

Reply Children
  • That's great, thank you!

• Oh that might have been me. I think I posted it on your post haha. Yeh you get it from a doctor in this country. In most countries like America etc you can just buy it out health shops as a supplement. But for whatever reason you need a prescription for it here yeh. There’s a lot of evidence for it helping epileptic people to sleep and lowering seizure number and/or severity because it acts to increase GABA in the brain which causes relaxation etc. Plus it is non addictive. You can but it online but not sure how legal that is to be honest. Not recommending doing that. Best to go through GP as not a lot of people know it’s out there. Also valerian root helps a lot of people sleep and helps anxiety. Hope this helps.