Sensory Issues being an autistic female who recently unmasked

I wanted to start this discussion because I, (20 year old female) am really beginning to feel to strain and frustration that comes with sensory issues on a day to day bases. I was late diagnosed with autism and up until last year, was heavily masking for the majority of my life in order to fit in. I found when I was masking, I was able to grit my teeth and tolerate a lot more than I can now. Since unmasking I have found my autistic traits have become much more noticeable, particularly my sensory issues. It's a huge battle, as my brain is constantly working overtime, trying to push through the day despite finding the smallest of tasks a challenge when I can just feel everything

For example, the way my makeup feels on my skin after I've done it or the way my hands feel greasy after using moisturiser, or the way my glasses feel on my face. Which is frustrating as these are all things I want/need to do to get ready or look presentable. On bad days, these little things can just build up until I'm unable to really function or leave the house. I find myself getting quite emotional as I type this as I don't want this to rule my life - I know it's part of who I am, it's just hard to accept or tell people when I didn't used to be like this (due to heavily masking for years). It's draining because I'm thinking and feeling so much more than a neurotypical person would be on a daily bases. I know I shouldn't compare but I often feel guilty and sometimes even lazy when I have unproductive days due to my sensory issues slowing me down. 

If anybody has any advice on how to manage sensory issues or ways I can help myself to deal with it in the moment that would be really great, thank you. 

Parents
  • Hi  I totally get what you mean, I'm exactly the same (but a bit older than you!). I feel like I am less able to tollerate sensory things now than I was before too. Sometimes my tolerance is related to how overwhelmed I am emotionally, if I am feeling happy, I can cope with a lot more than when I am sad, stressed or tired. When I'm tired even the sound of a zip on a coat can make me want to scream. A few things that have helped me or things you might want to consider:

Noise cancelling headphones - the best thing I've bought in ages! I never realised how much even general background noise like cars passing by, howling wind etc affected me until I got these.

Remove as much sensory stuff as possible and you will be better able to cope with the sensory things you can't control - it's accumulative. 

Try to reduce sensory demands as soon as you get home - I get into my PJs, remove my uncomfortable bra etc as soon as I can, that way my body can rest and be more able to cope the next day.

Make up - can you have some makeup free days or be brave and reduce the amount you wear? I have stopped wearing makeup everyday now and I don't miss it any more. I enjoy wearing it for special occassions and will wear foundation if my skin is bad which is most of the time unfortunately! If not, try some different products, they all feel very different. I like to use a primer underneath my foundation because it feels so much nicer and it means I can use a lighter weight foundation and less of it. If you need to wear mascara, eyebrow pencil etc, have you considered getting them tinted at a salon instead?

Moisturiser - do you actually need to use it all over or could you just use it where you need it? I have dry skin on the back of my hands but avoid getting any on my palms because it feels horrible!

It's really good that you're trying to unmask, it might feel like you're taking a step back but you're not, you're just being your authentic self and protecting yourself against future burnout which could happen if you ignore your sensory needs and continue to mask them. I'm in a similar position, I was diagnosed a few months ago and started to unmask about a year ago. I still feel sad about it sometimes because I struggle to go shopping with friends and go out for coffee but on the other hand, I was always exhausted, jittery and had awful stomach problems for days after a shopping trip so my body clearly didn't appreciate it! Having written this, I think I need to take my own advice and stop feeling bad about it!

• Hi  I totally get what you mean, I'm exactly the same (but a bit older than you!). I feel like I am less able to tollerate sensory things now than I was before too. Sometimes my tolerance is related to how overwhelmed I am emotionally, if I am feeling happy, I can cope with a lot more than when I am sad, stressed or tired. When I'm tired even the sound of a zip on a coat can make me want to scream. A few things that have helped me or things you might want to consider:

Noise cancelling headphones - the best thing I've bought in ages! I never realised how much even general background noise like cars passing by, howling wind etc affected me until I got these.

Remove as much sensory stuff as possible and you will be better able to cope with the sensory things you can't control - it's accumulative. 

Try to reduce sensory demands as soon as you get home - I get into my PJs, remove my uncomfortable bra etc as soon as I can, that way my body can rest and be more able to cope the next day.

Make up - can you have some makeup free days or be brave and reduce the amount you wear? I have stopped wearing makeup everyday now and I don't miss it any more. I enjoy wearing it for special occassions and will wear foundation if my skin is bad which is most of the time unfortunately! If not, try some different products, they all feel very different. I like to use a primer underneath my foundation because it feels so much nicer and it means I can use a lighter weight foundation and less of it. If you need to wear mascara, eyebrow pencil etc, have you considered getting them tinted at a salon instead?

Moisturiser - do you actually need to use it all over or could you just use it where you need it? I have dry skin on the back of my hands but avoid getting any on my palms because it feels horrible!

It's really good that you're trying to unmask, it might feel like you're taking a step back but you're not, you're just being your authentic self and protecting yourself against future burnout which could happen if you ignore your sensory needs and continue to mask them. I'm in a similar position, I was diagnosed a few months ago and started to unmask about a year ago. I still feel sad about it sometimes because I struggle to go shopping with friends and go out for coffee but on the other hand, I was always exhausted, jittery and had awful stomach problems for days after a shopping trip so my body clearly didn't appreciate it! Having written this, I think I need to take my own advice and stop feeling bad about it!

Children
No Data