Talking to mum about suspected autism - help!

I am about to undertake an autism assessment. I am 36 and have struggled with depression, anxiety, self esteem and social issues for as long as I can remember. I’ve seen countless therapists, doctors, psychiatrists over the years and none have never come to a conclusion about why life is so difficult for me.

Over the past year on two separate occasions one with a therapist and one with a GP, ASD has been mentioned. After a lot (like A LOT) of obsessing and research many of the signs I have read about make sense as to why things are so difficult for me.

As many of you will know my assessment needs someone who has known me since childhood, my only option here is my mum. We don’t have the most open relationship and I find it very hard to be honest with her about how I feel. I’m scared that because I have hidden my difficulties so effectively from her she won’t be helpful in the assessment. I have no idea how to approach this with her and wondered if anyone had a similar experience and any advice to share?

Parents
  • LittleHouse,

I was aged 67 when I had my assessment, and there quite simply wasn't anyone alive who had known me since childhood. Happily, it didn't seem to matter, the assessment still went ahead.  So I suggest you just explain your situation, and then maybe your assessment can also go ahead.

I suspect there are other members here that have had the same, or similar experiences; maybe one or two will come along and post their accounts.

Don't lose hope,

Ben

• LittleHouse,

I was aged 67 when I had my assessment, and there quite simply wasn't anyone alive who had known me since childhood. Happily, it didn't seem to matter, the assessment still went ahead.  So I suggest you just explain your situation, and then maybe your assessment can also go ahead.

I suspect there are other members here that have had the same, or similar experiences; maybe one or two will come along and post their accounts.

Don't lose hope,

Ben

Children
No Data